Home

The Adrian Peterson Saga

This is a discussion on The Adrian Peterson Saga within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: The Adrian Peterson Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoi23
Really surprising IMO.
No its not. I would be shocked if the Vikings kept him suspended after that performance on Sunday.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 27

Awesome message the Vikings send to the fans and young future football players out there; go ahead and abuse your kid, as long as you're vital to our team's success, you'll play.

Hiding behind words like 'due process', and 'formal investigation', doesn't cut it. The proof of what happened is clear as day. Just unbelievable.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
MVP

Hockeynut99's Arena

OVR: 0

What NFL team would not play their star player? I think what he did was wrong and should be punished. But pretty much all NFL onwers are all about winning. Hopefully he gets the help he needs. Just because they discipline this way in the pass doesn't make it right. The kids just had no advocate for them like they do now.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #20
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
If Peterson was released today, how many suitors do you think he'd get? A buddy who is somewhat close to the league said that 31 teams would have a discussion about it but only a few would seriously entertain it...especially now.

New England is an obvious fit imo. Atlanta would be another team that would be a great fit but I think the Vick situation would make them have to steer clear.
This is the problem with people of power getting on their moral high ground. Robert Craft made a point to say he'd never sign Ray Rice, and came dangerously close (imo) of suggesting collusion in his thoughts of how every other owner would act. Can't see him turning the other cheek in this case based on that stance alone. This is, of course, the same man pictured giving Floyd Mayweather a big bear hug as he welcomed him to his private suite in the stadium... does anyone NOT know Mayweather's history with domestic violence OR what he said about the Rice situation?

I think many more teams would welcome him than you'd think, starting with one in Texas, where all of this is going down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardin
I was "whooped" as a child, so I understand Peterson's position here. But the mother is not married to Peterson, I think the child was only visiting. Even though he is the father the child's mother has good reason to be upset about it and take the kid to the doctor. You can't decide to take such extreme measures without the other parent's knowledge. Even then the details of the case do sound like Peterson took it a bit too far. Most children get the idea after one or two strikes and usually just the threat of using force is enough to get them to behave. Looking at the details of the case it looks like he went too far, but I don't think he is a bad person and he should play.
That's a good point that the child was visiting and AP and the mother aren't together making discipline decisions.

A detail about the child, it appears he has a history (short history... he's only 4) of behavioral problems, and was disciplined either earlier that day or earlier in his visit with AP for scratching a 5 year old girl in the face. And anyone ready to throw an emotionally charged hammer at me for pointing out faults in the child, whatever the child did wrong doesn't change whether or not AP was wrong in disciplining him. I mention it because it was asked, and because it does show why one or two strikes wasn't thought to be enough by AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
Awesome message the Vikings send to the fans and young future football players out there; go ahead and abuse your kid, as long as you're vital to our team's success, you'll play.

Hiding behind words like 'due process', and 'formal investigation', doesn't cut it. The proof of what happened is clear as day. Just unbelievable.
Is that really the message? Or is it that we live in a society where everyone is innocent until proven guilty and despite the recent trend we should allow the trained and appointed professionals lead the way in judgement before completely destroying a man's life. Any other American would be able to live their life until their day in court and a judgement says otherwise. I think the Vikings are handling this properly.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 27
The Adrian Peterson Saga

I don't care what so called "behavioral problems" the kid had. He's only 4. That's a kid in pre-school.

Whip him on the butt a couple times with your hand and put him timeout. Explain to him why he's getting punished.

Beating him with a stick numerous times to the point where he's bleeding and there's bruises, is completely over the top.

I also don't need 'due process' here. The fact that there's visual proof, admission from the perpetrator, and a subsequent arrest, tells me everything I need to know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton

Is that really the message? Or is it that we live in a society where everyone is innocent until proven guilty and despite the recent trend we should allow the trained and appointed professionals lead the way in judgement before completely destroying a man's life. Any other American would be able to live their life until their day in court and a judgement says otherwise. I think the Vikings are handling this properly.
I agree with all your other stuff, and I also agree with the innocent until proven guilty thing, but didn't Peterson already admit his guilt in this circumstance? Do we really need a court to declare him guilty if he's already admitted to it?

Personally, I think they're more just waiting for the NFL to hand down a punishment since whatever the NFL does erases whatever the Vikings punishment would be.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #23
Puck Dynasty

soxnut1018's Arena

OVR: 8

So basically the Vikings just gave Peterson a time out to think about his actions? If only they were in charge of disciplining his son.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
I don't care what so called "behavioral problems" the kid had. He's only 4. That's a kid in pre-school.

Whip him on the butt a couple times with your hand and put him timeout. Explain to him why he's getting punished.

Beating him with a stick numerous times to the point where he's bleeding and there's bruises, is completely over the top.

I also don't need 'due process' here. The fact that there's visual proof, admission from the perpetrator, and a subsequent arrest, tells me everything I need to know.
No offense but I am ignoring your first couple of sentences bc they insinuate that I (or anyone) justified what AP did based on the kid's behavioral problems... even though I even said in my post my reason for pointing it out.

You absolutely do need 'due process' unless you are the judge and jury in this or any other case. I don't agree with every law out there but I respect the process and input needed to put those laws into place. And I even accept that there needs to be a lot of improvement in that area, but it should still hold A TON more weight than the masses calling for the death penalty for anything that doesn't match their personal morals and values. You can feel however you want about him based on what you've seen, but law enforcement and his employers should dig deeper before destroying his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I agree with all your other stuff, and I also agree with the innocent until proven guilty thing, but didn't Peterson already admit his guilt in this circumstance? Do we really need a court to declare him guilty if he's already admitted to it?

Personally, I think they're more just waiting for the NFL to hand down a punishment since whatever the NFL does erases whatever the Vikings punishment would be.
He didn't admit to being guilty of child abuse, he admitted to disciplining his child. He admitted to going overboard but his intent was still to discipline his child in a way that is still acceptable to a lot of people even today. I believe it's been mentioned that the type of discipline is stated to be legal in Texas even. So it's going to be a case of the significance intent plays into things... and how a jury of his peers view the Texas laws and spanking kids.

It's not just a matter of whether or not he crossed the line of discipline to abuse, but what the punishment would be if that's proven to be the case. The masses want the book thrown at everyone. I wonder how many people who have absolutely no doubt in their mind that this is child abuse consider Peterson as bad as the man that beat his son to death.

Living in the world where people look at things as black and white as that, I'm very happy we have a law enforcement system that can provide more rational judgments.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »