Home

Ryan Dinwiddie, Bears agree to free-agent deal

This is a discussion on Ryan Dinwiddie, Bears agree to free-agent deal within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #17
Banned

Programmed2Kill's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Ryan Dinwiddie, Bears agree to free-agent deal

Quote:

lionsfan49 said:
Quote:

Programmed2Kill said:
Excuse me, but why don't I see the Bears picking up Sweetness' son

He got signed by the Titans today I believe

Oh ok, good
Old 04-27-2004, 08:19 AM   #18
Banned

OHguy00's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

Dallasin2K3 said:
Quote:

OHguy00 said:
Yeah, an UDFA is gonna dethrone a 1st round pick. Give me a break. There is a reason why Dinwiddie wasn't drafted and why Grossman went 1st round just 1 year ago.

But it is a well known fact that historically Florida QB's do not fare well in the pros. Generally they were in one of the best systems in college football with some of the best WR and RB talent and usually when they get to the pros they stink it up. We all know this.

Not saying Grossman won't be the first, but can anyone name a good Florida QB in the pros? Kind of strange considering how they have had what probably amounts to as the best passing offensive history in the NCAA's and lots of talent at RB with guys like Emmitt Smith and Fred Taylor... To go along with WR's like Taylor Jacobs, Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, John Capel, Travis Taylor, Darrell Jackson, and Ben Troupe all as recievers at Florida while Grossman was there. All were drafted after 2000 and all were 1st or 2nd round picks except Capel. That's an awful lot of talent... I'm skeptical.

Yeah, but you have to give a QB that you drafted in the 1st round more than one year to develop. A 5th rd pick or UDFA is not gonna be any better in their first year than Rex will be in his 2nd year. Give the guy some more time before you start talking about replacing him.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:49 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 8

I don't think Bears fans are giving up on Grossman. Frankly, he's the most exciting QB we've had in a long time. He's got a strong arm and seems very confident.

I am glad they are bringing in anybody for QB because I wasn't happy with the Krenzel pick. He's a smart QB and a winner, but he doesn't seem accurate enough for the pros. Not surprising they brought in Dinwiddie either, since Brock Forsey is on the roster and is likely to be the #3 back.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #20
Rookie

Jeremy_Stein's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

OHguy00 said:
Quote:

Dallasin2K3 said:
Quote:

OHguy00 said:
Yeah, an UDFA is gonna dethrone a 1st round pick. Give me a break. There is a reason why Dinwiddie wasn't drafted and why Grossman went 1st round just 1 year ago.

But it is a well known fact that historically Florida QB's do not fare well in the pros. Generally they were in one of the best systems in college football with some of the best WR and RB talent and usually when they get to the pros they stink it up. We all know this.

Not saying Grossman won't be the first, but can anyone name a good Florida QB in the pros? Kind of strange considering how they have had what probably amounts to as the best passing offensive history in the NCAA's and lots of talent at RB with guys like Emmitt Smith and Fred Taylor... To go along with WR's like Taylor Jacobs, Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, John Capel, Travis Taylor, Darrell Jackson, and Ben Troupe all as recievers at Florida while Grossman was there. All were drafted after 2000 and all were 1st or 2nd round picks except Capel. That's an awful lot of talent... I'm skeptical.

Yeah, but you have to give a QB that you drafted in the 1st round more than one year to develop. A 5th rd pick or UDFA is not gonna be any better in their first year than Rex will be in his 2nd year. Give the guy some more time before you start talking about replacing him.

Agreed, OHguy00. Also, if you look at that list, the talent is not impressive: Jacobs, Gaffney, Taylor, Capel and Reche Caldwell. Quick, name three players who weren't worth their draft pick! Name one who shouldn't have been drafted at all. Oh right...

Jackson and Taylor barely played with Grossman, and Troupe was a backup in Grossman's last year. Aaron Walker, the starter that year, wasn't bad, but even he's a backup behind a guy coming off a season-ending collarbone injury. You're case there is thin man.

Florida often has good running backs, but Grossman never played with a guy like Fred Taylor -- his RBs are in NFL Europe and the CFL.

But you're right that he was in a good system. And Florida QBs generally do bust -- but Florida WRs are only rivalled by Penn State RBs for number and frequency of busts. And at least PSU RBs have some injuries to blame.

The problem with Spurriers system, from the QB's perspective, was that it was all about reading locations and not routes. It's a great system in that it makes reading a defense easier in college, and it allows athletic wide receivers to get away with sloppy routes while hiding their marginal quickness. So Florida WRs come out of college with no route running skills (all but Jackson, who learned quickly) and turn out to be less athletic than scouts expected (Gaffney and Caldwell). Florida QBs can hide their poor arm strength (Berlin, Wuerfell, etc.) and have to almost totally re-learn how to read a defense. So they generally fail at it. Spurrier created the system because he was a smart QB who couldn't read defenses the way he was told to, and didn't have much of an arm himself.

But Grossman's different. He has a better arm than any other notable Florida QB. He's generally a smart guy and a quick learner. He lucked out and got a year with Zook and Zaunbrecher -- lucky not because they're great coaches, but because they implemented a somewhat pro-style system. It's why he struggled a bit his junior year but also why he was able to play so well as a rookie.

As a former-Minnesotan, I'm trained to dislike the Bears. But they're lucky to have someone as special at QB as Rex Grossman. At the same time, they're lucky to have Dinwiddie too. His arm is average and he is a bit small, but he's savvy and whoever said he can't elude the rush must have been watching another guy. He's a better prospect than Krenzel, but Krenzel may make a better backup.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #21
Banned

OHguy00's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

Brando70 said:
I don't think Bears fans are giving up on Grossman. Frankly, he's the most exciting QB we've had in a long time. He's got a strong arm and seems very confident.

I am glad they are bringing in anybody for QB because I wasn't happy with the Krenzel pick. He's a smart QB and a winner, but he doesn't seem accurate enough for the pros. Not surprising they brought in Dinwiddie either, since Brock Forsey is on the roster and is likely to be the #3 back.

I was very surprised by the Krenzel pick. He probably would've lasted til the 7th or not been drafted at all...that was a wasted pick. Agreed that Krenzel doesn't have the accuracy to play in the pros, he didn't even have good accuracy for a college QB. He also has a pretty weak arm. I guess if they spend time coaching him that he could develop into an above average backup. He will never be a starter though, he was drafted strictly to be a backup.

Are you saying they brought in Dinwiddie just because Forsey is on the roster? I don't think thats the reason they signed him because neither of these guys are likely to see the field much.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »