Home

College QBs Are Being Unprepared for the NFL

This is a discussion on College QBs Are Being Unprepared for the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #33
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: College QBs Are Being Unprepared for the NFL

Being a Panther fan, I feel like they did Cam Newton's development proves that it can work if you meet somewhere in the middle. He's not perfect but he's a decently efficient passer considering what he's had to work with. What makes him dangerous is when they utilize his athleticism in the run game which opens up the pass game. Plus football on any level isn't quantum physics.

Would he have better if he came up in a pro-style system? I don't think you can say for certain, he's led his team to two straight division titles despite not having alot of weapons with how he is now.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #34
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

How many people actually read the WSJ article? This isn't about feeling for GMs or Coaches. It's about high level college QBs not knowing football basics because the spread offenses don't require them. Basic coverage shells and fronts are stumping these players.

College coaches are all about the wins for their job that is fine. Part of being a coach is teaching right? You have a guy on campus for three-five years while installing your spread you can't after his senior season teach him some things that might help him on job interviews.

It's also on the players to see out this knowledge. If during the recruiting process you don't ask about getting you ready for the NFL. You don't seek out ways to get better you can't just blame your college coaches. You see what the NFL is about. Start to prepare yourself as well.

Lastly, the NFL needs to get off their high horse. If some of this spread stuff works in college why can't you add some to your scheme to help ease the transition of your "prized" rookie. If you are a GM and you know these kids are deficient why are you demanding results from your coach on a 5 win team with a top 5 pick being burned on a QB? If you draft a QB shouldn't your staff get at a minimum three seasons to develop him if he looks at you funny when you ask him about an over front?

Lots of good discussion here, but it seems like some didn't bother with the article(s) at all.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 09-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #35
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
College coaches are all about the wins for their job that is fine. Part of being a coach is teaching right? You have a guy on campus for three-five years while installing your spread you can't after his senior season teach him some things that might help him on job interviews.
I feel like this is oversimplifying coaching. ImTellinTim touched on it; my job as a coach is to put you in the best possible position to win. Its not to prepare you for a system you might be playing in 3-5 years later. I feel like a good college coach would integrate pro style concepts to his offense, but if he doesn't I don't think he's a bad coach or even leaving out vital information.

If my system only requires the QB to be able to throw half the route tree, only read half the field, and only look at the defense to see whether its tight or loose coverage but we stay winning, so be it. If your coaching/scouting staff did their homework, then they should know none of my QBs are going to come in ready to play day 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #36
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I feel like this is oversimplifying coaching. ImTellinTim touched on it; my job as a coach is to put you in the best possible position to win. Its not to prepare you for a system you might be playing in 3-5 years later. I feel like a good college coach would integrate pro style concepts to his offense, but if he doesn't I don't think he's a bad coach or even leaving out vital information.

If my system only requires the QB to be able to throw half the route tree, only read half the field, and only look at the defense to see whether its tight or loose coverage but we stayould know none of my QBs are going to come in ready to play day 1.
Again, if that is the system you run, fair enough. But if guys leave your program not know football fundamentals. Its an all around failure at the college level. You for not teaching it, and them for not seeking the information.

The cover 2 has been around football since 1975 are we okay with "franchise" QBs not knowing about that going into the NFL. I'm not blaming anyone aspect of this system. There is enough fault to go around.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #37
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Again, if that is the system you run, fair enough. But if guys leave your program not know football fundamentals. Its an all around failure at the college level. You for not teaching it, and them for not seeking the information.

The cover 2 has been around football since 1975 are we okay with "franchise" QBs not knowing about that going into the NFL. I'm not blaming anyone aspect of this system. There is enough fault to go around.
I just disagree. If that knowledge isn't vital to my program winning, why am I wasting time on it? I've only coached middle school and high school and we definitely teach those basics as far as playing in and against those overages and I agree with you that something as basic as that should be known going in to college.

But.....if I don't know (or really initially) care if this kid is going to make it to the NFL, why am I going out of my way to teach that stuff? I'd say (and you said to an extent) that that's more on the player trying to make the league than on the coach trying to win games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 09-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #38
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
I've only coached middle school and high school and we definitely teach those basics as far as playing in
What exactly do ya'll teach them? Just curious.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #39
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
What exactly do ya'll teach them? Just curious.
coverage wise?

1, 2, 3, match up zone are the basics. If they can handle that we'll move on to combo coverages and what not

From there its: alignment, knowing where you're at on the field, d&d, how to read/recognize routes, trail techniques, how to cover a zone while also checking a wr. That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #40
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Or they can draft QBs and let them sit on the sideline for a year or two like they used to. QBs don't even kill the cap coming out of college anymore, but for some reason that's MORE reason to start them right away. Makes no sense.
Most fans don't actually know what is going on. So they don't realize that starting a rookie QB isn't the bed idea in the world. All they know is their current QB sucks and the new rookie is supposed to the best ever. The GM and owner want to keep the fans happy, the coach will star the rookie to keep the GM and owner happy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »