Home

Week 6: Baltimore Ravens (1-4) @ San Fransisco 49ers (1-4)

This is a discussion on Week 6: Baltimore Ravens (1-4) @ San Fransisco 49ers (1-4) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7
Week 6: Baltimore Ravens (1-4) @ San Fransisco 49ers (1-4)

I am hoping Kap can build on last week's performance . Also, hopefully, the niners defense can contain Steve Smith.If the niners can't win this one , then it may be time for us fans to hope they just tank the season and end up with a top five draft pick

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Week 6: Baltimore Ravens (1-4) @ San Fransisco 49ers (1-4)

I keep saying these games are winnable, and the defense keeps finding a way to blow it at the end. So I'm just gonna watch and see how this one plays out.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

These two teams were in the superbowl 3 years ago. The window closes fast man.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
In two completely different ways too.

49ers are a great example of how the front office can start believing they are more important than they actually are and burn down something good quickly.

Ravens are a great example of how thin the margins are between a playoff team and a 6-10 team. The Ravens have led in the 4th quarter of their last 3 losses and didn't lead in their win until they kicked the winning FG in OT. And even in their Super Bowl year they weren't anything that special until the playoff run. They were 10-6 that year. The Bears had the same record and fired Lovie Smith because that didn't happen to be good enough that year to make the playoffs in the NFC.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
I remember telling a buddy of mine just before the Super Bowl how we were set up for years to come.

Amazing how quickly it's all disintegrated.

Thanks, Jed.

Edit: I read a story earlier this week that only 11 Ravens remain from that team and only 12 49ers. The 49ers have nearly as many players (Boldin/Smith) who started on offense for the Ravens as the Ravens do now (they still have three).

Last edited by LowerWolf; 10-16-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
In two completely different ways too.

49ers are a great example of how the front office can start believing they are more important than they actually are and burn down something good quickly.

Ravens are a great example of how thin the margins are between a playoff team and a 6-10 team. The Ravens have led in the 4th quarter of their last 3 losses and didn't lead in their win until they kicked the winning FG in OT. And even in their Super Bowl year they weren't anything that special until the playoff run. They were 10-6 that year. The Bears had the same record and fired Lovie Smith because that didn't happen to be good enough that year to make the playoffs in the NFC.
I said during the preseason that the Ravens were super thin on depth and couldn't afford any injuries. So of course Suggs is lost for the season in the first game of the year, the position they could probably least afford to get injured at, and the pass rush has disappeared. And when you're secondary is as bad as the Ravens has been, a good pass rush is pretty much the only thing that can save you.

The offense has actually done pretty well, even with the starting left tackle missing for the first five games, and a receiving group made up of undrafted players and Steve Smith, who has also been banged up. But the deficiencies at receiver have been apparent, and they can't overcome monumental collapses by the defense at the end of every game.

At least a lot of the dead money is coming off the books next year, and then Ray Rice and Haloti Ngata will no longer be a couple of the highest paid players on a team they're not even a part of.

It's crazy though, when you look at how few players are left from both of these teams from that Super Bowl year. It's something like 16 between the two. And most of those aren't even starters.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I remember telling a buddy of mine just before the Super Bowl how we were set up for years to come.

Amazing how quickly it's all disintegrated.

Thanks, Jed.

Edit: I read a story earlier this week that only 11 Ravens remain from that team and only 12 49ers. The 49ers have nearly as many players (Boldin/Smith) who started on offense for the Ravens as the Ravens do now (they still have three).
Well turns out the roster isn't as great as it was hyped, particularly the drafts:

Quote:
Since 2011, Baalke's first year as general manager, the 49ers have made 49 picks ... and only eight are currently starters for the team. And since 2012, the 49ers have drafted 22 players in the first four rounds, and just four of those players have played more than 50 percent of snaps this season -- free safety Eric Reid, defensive back Jimmie Ward, center Marcus Martin and running back Carlos Hyde.
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisc...per-bowl-xlvii

Baalke's free agent signings have been poor too, especially this year.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Well turns out the roster isn't as great as it was hyped, particularly the drafts:

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisc...per-bowl-xlvii

Baalke's free agent signings have been poor too, especially this year.
Antoine Bethea was a good pickup !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »