Home

2016 Black Monday

This is a discussion on 2016 Black Monday within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: 2016 Black Monday

Gase to interview with the Eagles on Tuesday, the Browns on Wednesday and the Dolphins on Thursday, per NFLN.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

Mike McCoy avoids Black Monday. OC Frank Reich didn't.

From ESPN:

Despite a 4-12 record, the Chargers will bring back head coach Mike McCoy and GM Tom Telesco for 2016.

Team president John Spanos said: "We are disappointed with the outcome as our expectations have not been met," but added, "I have the utmost confidence in our leadership."

Last edited by LowerWolf; 01-04-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #27
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Fisher and McCoy are lucky that their teams are focused on relocating, otherwise they'd likely be toast.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #28
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

If SD's move to LA was in the bag I bet McCoy would've been fired as it is he gets a stay of execution.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

From PFT.com

Quote:
After the 49ers had their “mutual parting” with coach Jim Harbaugh in 2015, CEO Jed York and G.M. Trent Baalke met the media together. On Monday, one day after coach Jim Tomsula became the one-and-done replacement for Harbaugh, York and Baalke met separately with reporters.

Intended or not, it created the impression that Baalke is now on an island. And he seems to realize it.

“I appreciate the confidence that ownership has shown in me,” Baalke said. “But I also understand the gravity of the situation and understand exactly what this fan base looks for and what this ownership looks for. It’s the San Francisco 49ers. It’s about championships. It’s about being in a position to compete for championships. You’re not going to win it every year. That’s unrealistic to think that. But to put yourself in a position to is really the ultimate goal and that’s what we’re striving to do.”

Baalke’s comments seem far more pragmatic than those of his boss. Last year, York debuted the now-infamous “we raise Super Bowl banners and whenever we don’t deliver that, I hope that you will hold me directly responsible and accountable for it” routine. York was at it again on Monday, setting the bar at a level that only one of 32 NFL coaches per year necessarily will meet.

“Are you in need of somebody who you’re comfortable with, who makes you feel good when you’re in a room with them?” York was asked.

“We’re in need of somebody that can win Super Bowls,” York said.

“So, personality doesn’t matter?”

“We’re in need of somebody that can win Super Bowls,” York replied.

“Didn’t you have that guy?”

“We haven’t won a Super Bowl since 1994,” York said.

He’s right. And what has happened in the last 21 years? Has the franchise folded? Or has it thrived financially, like every other franchise — including the ones that have won plenty of Super Bowls and those that still haven’t won even one?

There’s a delicate balance for every owner to strike between fan and businessman. Of course the goal is to win a Super Bowl. But to make that the only indicator of success can strip the organization of patience, make the 49ers a team for which no one with options will opt to work, and ultimately turn it into a bottom-feeding franchise with an annual quest far more quixotic than realistic.

Really, what coach wants to go into a franchise with: (1) five Super Bowl trophies already in the case; (2) an owner who demands more of them now; and (3) a roster that isn’t remotely close to even qualifying for the postseason tournament?

York’s attitude is a recipe for a door that will revolve until the 49ers accidentally stumble into the next Bill Walsh. And the next Bill Walsh had better win Super Bowls quickly, because if he simply puts the team in serious contention every year and then (God forbid) wants to be compensated accordingly, the 49ers will remind him (and everyone else) that he hasn’t won a Super Bowl and otherwise refuse to find a way to work around the personality quirks and overall intensity that helps make a coach good enough to win Super Bowls in the ultra-competitive NFL.

For now, it’s unclear where the 49ers will look for the next coach who will win a Super Bowl or at least get them close to one. Baalke said no interviews have been conducted, none have been scheduled, and there will be no in-house candidates for the job.

Baalke also strongly suggested that they want a coach with experience. Given that Mike Holmgren has won a Super Bowl, been to another, and wants back in as coach of the 49ers, it would make sense to at least give him an interview.

It would make even more sense to drop the whole “we expect to win Super Bowls” routine and replace it with something along these lines: “We understand how competitive the NFL is. Our goal is to be competitive every year. To have a chance to make it to the playoffs every year. To have a chance to get to the Super Bowl every year. And if it ever happens that we end up with the right coach and the right quarterback who can take us to multiple Super Bowl wins, we’ll do everything we can to provide them with the support necessary to win as many Super Bowls as they can.”

Until York understands the difference between those two messages, he’ll get plenty of practice in conducting postseason press conferences explaining the latest decision to fire a coach or a General Manager.
Wish most teams would realize this, especially the bolded parts.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

I don't have a problem with the stated goal being Super Bowl or bust. That's pretty much the way it was in the 80s for us. And the great coaches embrace that challenge.

But if you've clearly got a good coach and are in the mix every year, it doesn't make much sense to fire the coach if you go five years without winning it. I think we all realized a year ago how monumentally stupid it was to push Harbaugh out the door. I think - or at least hope - Jed realizes that now, too.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #31
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18

The NFL is a difficult league to win in, that's why when you have a succesful coach like an Andy Reid, Jim Harbaugh, or even someone like Marty Schottenheimer you don't kick them to the curb as soon as you have one disappointing 6-7 win season. Or in Marty's case (14-2 and a playoff exit)

Sometimes it takes a few seasons to get the ship righted, and some patience is required to see the process through. That's why when I hear the rumblings of fans wanting to axe a guy like Mike McCarthy, or talk that the Saints might deal Sean Payton from his contract early. I think why? These guys are steady, proven Coaches in this league and will get you to, the playoffs more often than not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #32
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared
The NFL is a difficult league to win in, that's why when you have a succesful coach like an Andy Reid, Jim Harbaugh, or even someone like Marty Schottenheimer you don't kick them to the curb as soon as you have one disappointing 6-7 win season. Or in Marty's case (14-2 and a playoff exit)

Sometimes it takes a few seasons to get the ship righted, and some patience is required to see the process through. That's why when I hear the rumblings of fans wanting to axe a guy like Mike McCarthy, or talk that the Saints might deal Sean Payton from his contract early. I think why? These guys are steady, proven Coaches in this league and will get you to, the playoffs more often than not.
I think in Harbaugh's case there was a major personality clash. I've heard that Harbaugh is a very difficult person to work with in the best of circumstances but when you're bickering with the owner and GM well...You're not going to be long for this world I don't care how good your record is. There should've been more of an effort to reconcile things though.

The other coaches you talk about all fall in the "their time has come" side of things IMO. Reid and Schottenheimer (moreso in his KC run) had hit a wall and were starting to see the law of diminishing returns. At some point you need to have a fresher voice in the locker room. I will agree with you that Schottenheimer being fired in San Diego is one of the worst decisions i've ever seen when it comes to coaching. He still had plenty to give in SD.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »