Home

2016 NFL Distribution Map Thread

This is a discussion on 2016 NFL Distribution Map Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: 2016 NFL Distribution Map Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Always hoped they'd go more schedule for the late games.

No reason to have like 10 games at 10am and 3 at 1.
It's interesting how viewing habits are different throughout the country. I'm not used to getting up in the morning to watch NFL games like you and everyone on the West Coast.

The thing that stinks about the way the schedule is done is that it's the result of Fox and CBS fighting over who controls the 425 ET time slot each week. A quick look at this week schedule and I think the Kansas City San Diego game should've been in the later window.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Always hoped they'd go more schedule for the late games.

No reason to have like 10 games at 10am and 3 at 1.
It's because of the US Open. For the longest time the first couple weeks (when the season started earlier) was heavily slotted at 1 PM as a courtesy to the US Open tournament and finals.

It's been that way since the '80s.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-11-2016, 03:52 AM   #11
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I just think it's better to balance it out. I hate waking up to watch especially since my regular work schedule at the moment doesn't have me used to waking up at 7:30 or something.

But I just hate that there's usually 3 or 4 games in the later slots on Sundays and if they are garbage games or end up being garbage games, there's nothing else. Plus it'd lighten the load of games to need to pay attention to early on. I mean, I'm watching the Texans game regardless, but still.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I just think it's better to balance it out. I hate waking up to watch especially since my regular work schedule at the moment doesn't have me used to waking up at 7:30 or something.

But I just hate that there's usually 3 or 4 games in the later slots on Sundays and if they are garbage games or end up being garbage games, there's nothing else. Plus it'd lighten the load of games to need to pay attention to early on. I mean, I'm watching the Texans game regardless, but still.
You can't sell high dollar ads if most of the country isn't watching the game.

I would prefer the games split up, but until all games are on TV like college, it won't happen.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom1990
It's interesting how viewing habits are different throughout the country. I'm not used to getting up in the morning to watch NFL games like you and everyone on the West Coast.

The thing that stinks about the way the schedule is done is that it's the result of Fox and CBS fighting over who controls the 425 ET time slot each week. A quick look at this week schedule and I think the Kansas City San Diego game should've been in the later window.
It's a lot more about where the game is played then anything else. Everyone is looking for a conspiracy theory when it doesn't exist.

Chiefs almost always play their home games at noon local time, the Broncos always play their home games at 2 local time (as an example).

Local game time kickoffs are almost always the same unless in a prime time slot.

As SPTO noted, due to the US open the NFL schedules as few possible late games that would be on CBS as possible (1 this year).
Old 09-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing

I would prefer the games split up, but until all games are on TV like college, it won't happen.

Um, all games ARE on TV.

In fact, it's pretty much this "make every game televised" model that the NCAA and their conferences have picked up on over the last 20 years. It's also what pushed the other sports leagues to make all their local market games available to said markets. The NFL's revenue sharing and TV exposure philosophy radically changed the business of sports both from a collective bargaining and media exposure standpoint.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #15

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
You can't sell high dollar ads if most of the country isn't watching the game.

Actually that's not correct.

Commercials are the same for every game regardless of the slot for each network. The only ads that bring in over the top revenue are the primetime games. Sunday afternoon games are not differentiated between one another because with the four timezones there really is no difference.

If you have Sunday Ticket you will continue to see the same commercials over and over again in all the different games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Actually that's not correct.

Commercials are the same for every game regardless of the slot for each network. The only ads that bring in over the top revenue are the primetime games. Sunday afternoon games are not differentiated between one another because with the four timezones there really is no difference.

If you have Sunday Ticket you will continue to see the same commercials over and over again in all the different games.
Thats not true. Local ads are different. For instance, in my market I might see ads for Cheerwine, Bojangles, that security system ad that has Kuechly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »