Home

2018 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on 2018 Offseason Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
2018 Offseason Thread

Colts didn’t waste any time firing Chuck Pagano as HC. Should expect to see a few more openings this week as well.

Packers also let go of DC Dom Capers after 9 years.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: 2018 Offseason Thread

Seen a few tweets that the lack of a Kyle Shanahan / Sean McVay being available will save a number of coaches jobs this season, some teams sticking with what they have.

Oakland seems to maybe making an effort for Gruden if he decides to finally pull the trigger on returning to coaching otherwise not sure Del Rio is going anywhere.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Del Rio won't be the HC of the Raiders next year, Mark Davis told him after the game.

https://twitter.com/edgraney/status/947629680907116544
Old 12-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

'Niners free agents: QB Jimmy Garoppolo, RB Carlos Hyde, SS Eric Reid, MLB Brock Coyle, C Daniel Kilgore, Leo Cassius Marsh, DE Tank Carradine, Leo Aaron Lynch, CB Dontae Johnson, RG Brandon Fusco, DE Leger Douzable, RT Garry Gilliam, WR Louis Murphy, CB Leon Hall, TE Logan Paulsen, C Tim Barnes, S Antone Exum, CB Asa Jackson, DT Chris Jones.

Clearly franchise Garoppolo. After that, I think they'll bring back Kilgore and Coyle... everyone else is kinda doubtful.

I could see Johnson coming back if only because there's no depth at CB, and Logan Paulsen's got value as a blocking tight end. Aaron Lynch has worn out his welcome, and Tank Carradine is worth more than the 49ers are likely willing to pay for a backup strongside end.

The big question marks are Eric Reid and Carlos Hyde.

Personally, I let Reid go. With Colbert, Tartt, and Ward all having played well this year (not that Reid hasn't), it's tough to justify paying the guy what he'd be worth on the open market (solid starter money, though not elite), especially considering the other three are on rookie contracts. He hasn't seemed to care all that much whether he comes back or not, so I question whether he's bought in.

As for Hyde, he's expressed a strong desire to return. He's definitely bought it. More over, I think you can get him on a relatively short term contract with terms that favor the team. Pay him the worst veteran starter money for one or two years. Cite his injury history. See if he'll play his *** off for a third contract. Prove he really wants to be a part of this team and will put in the work to be the best he can be.

I think Hyde's an above average back playing behind one of the worst lines in the NFL. I have seen him utterly dominate games at times, but I never see consistency. Still, at the right price, I bring him back and forgo having to acquire another back in the draft. He and Breida made a nice one-two this year, and I think Hyde can progress and make a decent poor-man's Ingram-Kamara.

Basically, given the sheer number of holes the 49ers have to fill, letting Hyde go now would be foolish, but so would be committing big money long term to get him to stay. The 'Niners could end up drafting as low as 11, putting them well out of the Saquan Barkely sweepstakes.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 12-31-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

I understand where Reid is coming from so I don’t blame him for feeling that way, especially after reading his earlier comments.

Unfortunately I think he’ll end up like Kap and won’t get any offers since he was one of the originals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

If Reid doesn’t get any offers, the collusion case gets a lot stronger. He’s been solid his whole career. He’s definitely a starter in the league. I want him back though Ward/Tartt make that more difficult.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
MVP

mestevo's Arena

@joearrigo
I’ve been told by a VERY RELIABLE source that the #Raiders and Jon Gruden are closing in on a deal that would make him their next head coach.

“It’s not officially done, but unless he changes his mind he’s back on the Raiders sideline”

https://twitter.com/joearrigo/status/947645200414924800
Old 12-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Del Rio won't be the HC of the Raiders next year, Mark Davis told him after the game.

https://twitter.com/edgraney/status/947629680907116544
Signed a 4 year extension not even a year ago and already out of a job.

Thought he would’ve at least got to finish the last year in Oakland before they head to Vegas.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »