Home

NFL Coaching Carousel 2018

This is a discussion on NFL Coaching Carousel 2018 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #65
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: NFL Coaching Carousel 2018

Yeah that's insane. I have no idea if any years are guaranteed or whatever (or how that works for coaches in the NFL) but if he gets fired after four years they're still paying for six more? Insano

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I like Gruden, but the Raiders are nuts giving him that.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Yeah that's insane. I have no idea if any years are guaranteed or whatever (or how that works for coaches in the NFL) but if he gets fired after four years they're still paying for six more? Insano
Typically the money is fully guaranteed unless the coach does something that voids the contract, so unless Gruden picks up an affinity for hookers and blow he is getting $100 million one way or the other.

Most coach contracts include offset language that says if he accepts a job elsewhere in the NFL the salary of that job is deducted from the money owed. I've heard there is a push to start including college jobs as part of the offset deals, but that as far as I know it has yet to be included. TV jobs are not included. If Jon gets fired and returns to TV he would still get his full coach salary plus whatever ESPN/whoever pays him.

The remaining money owed is paid out per year, not by a single large lump sum. If he was to get fired after year 4, and takes the next two years off from coaching, then takes a job elsewhere for $6 mil a year, he would get from Oakland:
$10 mil in years 5 and 6
$4 mil in year 7

Seems crazy but when you think about how valuable a good coach is the dollar amounts actually seem almost like a bargain. What we are left with is whether or not Gruden is a good coach.
(He will almost certainly be the highest paid coach in the league. Not much is known about their contracts, currently estimates are that the highest paid coaches are around the $8 mil per year mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Coordinators are also getting 4 year deals, should ensure some stability going into Vegas, as they'll play 2 in Oakland and then 2 there after relocation.

Contracts probably all kinda back loaded so that they pay less in taxes the 2 years they're in California and then get to enjoy a de facto raise with no state tax in Nevada.
Brings up an interesting question. I don't know how coach contracts are structured money wise. The step up/down character of player contracts are due to cap considerations. Typically there is no reason that I'm aware of to have the yearly payments fluctuate for coaches, but I do wonder if this special circumstance calls for it.

Edit: I should add, that just because TV jobs aren't typically part of the offset language, that does not mean that Gruden's contract doesn't include it. If both sides agreed to it as far as I know it can be added. I don't think the coaches association outright restricts that.

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 01-05-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #68
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Let me tell you about this kid, Jon Gruden from Sandusky in the great state of Ohio. They call this kid Chucky, man, and I tell you what, this kid's gonna run Spider 2 Y Banana all the way to Sin City, man.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #69
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I like Gruden, but the Raiders are nuts giving him that.

Yeah that much invested in one person is a lot. I’m extremely interested to see if he’s still got the coaching touch. He kind of turned in to a character on ESPN. Like, the young guys coming in to the league know him only as the crazy color commentary guy on ESPN and the coaching camp and all that jazz.

Everyone keeps talking about the cushy ESPN job, but last I saw those people are dropping like flies. Gruden might have seen the writing on the wall there, the money well that was ESPN is drying up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 01-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #70
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

@RapSheet
The #Titans are in the playoffs, but coach Mike Mularkey’s job is not safe. Sources say a loss could end his tenure, as the team prepares for a run at #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. Big game today with multiple ramifications.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #71
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
@RapSheet
The #Titans are in the playoffs, but coach Mike Mularkey’s job is not safe. Sources say a loss could end his tenure, as the team prepares for a run at #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. Big game today with multiple ramifications.
This doesn't surprise me. If they had lost last week Mularkey would've been fired in much the same way Del Rio was. He's on very thin ice right now.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #72
Rookie

bravo2208's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah, Titans fans have been stuck in this weird conundrum for a few weeks. Half wanted the Jacksonville win to get into the playoffs, and the other half wanted a loss to send a message to ownership. I've been a fan since 1998 and never even thought about rooting against my team til the end of this season. And I'm not alone. That's a problem. This team started 8-4 and had the 2nd easiest schedule in the league. Last year got me and a lot of other fans pumped for the first time in forever. We've been stuck in QB limbo for the majority of the past 10 years. I thought this was the year they'd turn it around and step out of the shadow of obscurity. Most people probably look at the winning record and playoff berth and call us spoiled, but there's a serious disconnect somewhere. The offense took a HUGE step back and looks like something from the early 70s. Mularkey puts together that gameplan. His refusal to adapt and loosen the reigns a bit are gonna do him in. Nobody even wanted him when we hired him. Our boneheaded owner forced the next GM to retain him. He's just a bad head coach from a bygone era. I don't think he can elevate the Titans to an elite level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »