Home

XFL Discussion

This is a discussion on XFL Discussion within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #73
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
re: XFL Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I feel like XFL is already leading the relevancy battle vs the AAF. Not that that's saying much. Pretty sure most people don't even know the AAF exists, let alone that it kicks off in 2 months. This whole thing is bizarre lol.
Considering that the league's games will be aired on CBSSN you'll start to see some promotion soon. The inaugural will be on CBS proper and same goes for the Championship Game. I would actually try and see if they can get Jim Nantz to call the first game or the championship if they can. At least it'll give the league some credibility. There are actually a few really good football PBP guys who don't work the NFL games that CBS employs that would be good for this league. One of whom is Carter Blackburn.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #74

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Considering that the league's games will be aired on CBSSN you'll start to see some promotion soon. The inaugural will be on CBS proper and same goes for the Championship Game. I would actually try and see if they can get Jim Nantz to call the first game or the championship if they can. At least it'll give the league some credibility. There are actually a few really good football PBP guys who don't work the NFL games that CBS employs that would be good for this league. One of whom is Carter Blackburn.
Nantz will be working golf in April.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #75
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Nantz will be working golf in April.
Yep, well the Inaugural game then

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #76
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
If you're opening a new restaurant, do you go where others are thriving or do you open one where there are none?

He picked mostly spots with large media markets. He needs all the publicity and visibility he can get.
I would actually go where there are none. Lets go with your analogy:

Lets say you own the biggest steakhouse in DC. Everyone likes your steakhouse . People in DC know that you have the best chefs and wait staff. They know you get the best cuts of beef. Why would I want to open up a rival steakhouse in DC with worse chefs, staff and food? All consumers will do is compare us to your steakhouse and complain about it not being as good.

Add on top of that, there are 3-4 other restaurants (NBA, NHL and MLB) that offer great food when your steakhouse isnt open.

I'd rather go to cities that dont have access to your steakhouse and its quality. Seems like a better business plan to me.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #77
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

Lets say you own the biggest steakhouse in DC. Everyone likes your steakhouse . People in DC know that you have the best chefs and wait staff. They know you get the best cuts of beef. Why would I want to open up a rival steakhouse in DC with worse chefs, staff and food? All consumers will do is compare us to your steakhouse and complain about it not being as good.

Add on top of that, there are 3-4 other restaurants (NBA, NHL and MLB) that offer great food when your steakhouse isnt open.

I'd rather go to cities that dont have access to your steakhouse and its quality. Seems like a better business plan to me.

The only thing though, and I love your analogy because I love DC and I love steak, is that the #1 steakhouse would be closed during “non-peak months” aka post-NFL Super Bowl until the start of the new season so starving football folks might try your Murry’s quality steaks if they’re hungry enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #78
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

XFL to announce Dallas coach/G.M. on Thursday - expected to be Bob Stoops.

Video interview w/ Luck here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...m-on-thursday/
Old 02-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #79
binging

SPTO's Arena

Well...At least this time around they're going with guys who have some credibility.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #80
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

Aside from KG mentioning that his steakhouse would be closed, we know there is a market for steakhouses there. You would be providing a cheaper alternative. Yes, his steakhouse is better, but you gotta pay $100 for a steak. You are offering steak for $40.

I think the smart move is play in big cities, but have smaller town expectations. Want a team in NY for the media market? Cool, but keep operating costs at the same level as if you were playing in Birmingham. Don't say "well we're in NY so we should expect 50,000+ in attendance."

Edit: Just read that the DC team will be playing at Audi Field, home of MLS DC United with a capacity of 20,000. That is perfect.
The NY team is set to play at MetLife stadium. Not at all smart lol. Operating costs for that will be ridiculous

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 02-10-2019 at 06:28 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »