Home

Week 7 Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Week 7 Discussion Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #65
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Week 7 Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I hope I don't break the TOS by saying this. But that's some slavery **** right there. So basically the position that takes the worst beating of all positions gets the short stick when it comes to pay. What are these guys doing after their careers are over?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ideally they're smart with the minimum 6 figure salaries they're making and can live off of that for a while until they find a new job.

You know, like everyone else whose job gets taken by someone younger and cheaper.

Something being unfair and something being compared to slavery are incredibly far apart. Sure it's unfair in relative terms to other positions played in football, but this isn't even close to slavery.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #66
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Week 7 Discussion Thread

Quote:
I hope I don't break the TOS by saying this. But that's some slavery **** right there. So basically the position that takes the worst beating of all positions gets the short stick when it comes to pay. What are these guys doing after their careers are over?

They’re just numbers like us in the regular world when it comes to their jobs/business. Obviously, the difference is they put their bodies on the line. (I guess some of us have to stare at screens all day but heh, yeah, bad comparison).

The NFL needs to do a better job of covering these guys post-career because it’s such a physical job. I know they can get regular jobs, but for a lot of guys they simply can’t either because their physical ability is all they have, the quickest ticket out of a bad situation, they didn’t really go to college to get an education, whatever it may be.

Becoming a professional football player is an incredible opportunity but it comes with serious short and long term risk to your health. It’s such a unique workplace, so public, it’s hard to compare it to anything “normal.” I’m not sure it’s fair.

I brought up a few players kind of pushing back on their teams recently regarding injury and my overarching thought was, the NFLPA needs to get a lot stronger to ensure these guys are okay later in life as analytics tell us who to pay and when while simultaneously we are learning how harmful playing this game is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #67
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Throw in the towel
Old 10-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #68
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Sweet Jesus Darnold.

Quote:

I see it as market value. Teams aren't going to overpay if they have an Eckler that can come in. The bigger issue is getting to NBA style guaranteed contracts.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Last edited by LambertandHam; 10-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I mean, for that kind of money over those years, I’ll take that slavery. For real
Old 10-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #70
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Does anyone see a loss on the Pats schedule? That is a who's who of **** NFL teams...

Baltimore on the road is probably the best chance. They'll likely take care of KC at home.

I know that they haven't played anyone yet, but giving up under 7 points per game through 7 NFL games is insane.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 10-22-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #71
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Does anyone see a loss on the Pats schedule? That is a who's who of **** NFL teams...

Baltimore on the road is probably the best chance. They'll likely take care of KC at home.

I know that they haven't played anyone yet, but giving up under 7 points per game through 7 NFL games is insane.
Yes, they will lose a couple of games. I see the Chiefs, Packers, & Cowboys as potential losses

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #72
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Week 7 Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49UNCFan
Yes, they will lose a couple of games. I see the Chiefs, Packers, & Cowboys as potential losses

Agreed. What that defense is doing is amazing though. Record-breaking.

Makes me wonder, will they be able to flip the switch offensively if the defense is off for a game? Eventually the turnovers and special teams big plays will dry up, will they still score 30+ a game without those aids? The Buffalo game tells me no. Fortunately for them, the Bills offense is pretty average and wasted a great defensive effort themselves. Pats do tend to make other teams “play bad” though, so credit still deserved.

Someone will clip ‘em. Only 2 of their remaining 9 opponents are straight up dog **** (MIA & CIN). The others are inconsistent... or, for any team outside of Massachusetts, normal. Heh. The second half schedule is infinitely better than the first half was.

The only teams I think have a shot against them in the playoffs are Baltimore, Indianapolis, KC, and Buffalo for differing reasons. That’s probably my playoff field in the AFC overall (plus HOU). I think Houston is a good team but I don’t trust Bill O’Brien to outduel Belichick. Well, most any other coach for that matter, but he seems most likely to tank his team. #matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

Last edited by slickdtc; 10-22-2019 at 01:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »