Home

I went to a football museum and found a fullback...

This is a discussion on I went to a football museum and found a fullback... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 11-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Okay, I notice fullbacks are a vanishing breed at most levels of football. I find this very curious. Where are the Rocky Bleiers? The John Rigginses (if I played, I'd make 44 my jersey number )? The Mike Alstotts or Tom Rathmans? Teams like the 49ers (much to my disappointment) use FB Yuschek (spelling?) to great effect. Then you have the triple option, I remember watching Army vs. UMass last weekend at they had 2 different FBs score touchdowns! Most teams don't even have 2 FBs.

So what's the deal? Why are there so few fullbacks these days? I think the only players happy about this are the kickers because now they're no longer the least-respected members of the team

Last edited by servo75; 11-12-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: I went to a football museum and found a fullback...

Fullbacks are actually slowly making a come back.

Even then though, they are primarily used as lead blockers. It's just the evolution of the game at this point.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
MVP

3304Life's Arena

OVR: 0

We had Mike Tolbert have a couple very productive years and some even more productive seasons in San Diego before us. I just donít know if weíll see full backs become high volume ball carriers again any time soon.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Think weíre gonna get more teams use them like SF does, especially with them having the success they are and it being a copycat league. But it requires a certain type of offense. Some donít have a need for a player of that type, others can benefit greatly from it. Shanahan knows how to run all different plays out of the same formation, creating uncertainty on defense. Other coaches arenít as adept at that.

I see it being more of an H-Back revolution. I always think of Chris Cooley, but even Aaron Hernandez played the position often despite the Pats being recognized as deploying the 2 TE grouping more then a TE and H-Back (same player type, just set differently).

The Bills employ Patrick DiMarco, who played under Shanahan in ATL (Juscyzk was with BAL... theyíre confused sometimes) and he gets some touches, but is used primarily as a fullback.

I think itís a useful position but probably not worthy of its own designation anymore. Kinda just the natural progression as positions blend; RB can work as receivers, WR can work as runners, QB are rushing more, etc. Now TE are being worked as FB and H-Backs (in addition to receivers and blockers ó quite the versatile position overall!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc

I think itís a useful position but probably not worthy of its own designation anymore. Kinda just the natural progression as positions blend; RB can work as receivers, WR can work as runners, QB are rushing more, etc. Now TE are being worked as FB and H-Backs (in addition to receivers and blockers ó quite the versatile position overall!)

You bring up an interesting point, and this is off-topic but I also notice that speaking of position designations, "long snapper" is now an official position, speaking of specialization. So a utility back who can block and catch passes isn't worth a roster spot for most teams, but they also can't find any of the 52 other players to long-snap? I mean the long-snappers generally don't play any other position at all which seems a waste to me.

Of course in Madden, long-snappers are useless and they're usually my first cut. Snap errors never occur and keeping a roster spot for a 40 OVR tight end just ain't worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #6

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
You bring up an interesting point, and this is off-topic but I also notice that speaking of position designations, "long snapper" is now an official position, speaking of specialization. So a utility back who can block and catch passes isn't worth a roster spot for most teams, but they also can't find any of the 52 other players to long-snap? I mean the long-snappers generally don't play any other position at all which seems a waste to me.

Of course in Madden, long-snappers are useless and they're usually my first cut. Snap errors never occur and keeping a roster spot for a 40 OVR tight end just ain't worth it.
I think you're comparing real life to Madden way to much.

Long snappers are incredibly important and most contribute on special teams.

For more clarification on their importance, read here:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/...llege-football
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I think you're comparing real life to Madden way to much.

Long snappers are incredibly important and most contribute on special teams.

For more clarification on their importance, read here:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/...llege-football

I think you're being a tad unfair. Nothing wrong with comparing Madden with real life, the people in these forums who complain about AI issues do that all the time. As someone who grew up a Giants fan I know all too well the importance of long snappers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlUnW7yL8Pc

I'm just saying that it's surprising they can't find one of 52 other players capable of long snapping. It's not a matter of long snapping being important, it's a matter of is it so specialized and unique a skill that you have to have one person dedicated to doing only that, not even being a backup at any other position? And while I'm comparing Madden I'll also note that Madden, a game that considers "LT" and "RT" and "LOLB" and "ROLB" completely different positions, doesn't yet have a "LS" position.

Last edited by servo75; 11-13-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
I think you're being a tad unfair. Nothing wrong with comparing Madden with real life, the people in these forums who complain about AI issues do that all the time. As someone who grew up a Giants fan I know all too well the importance of long snappers.

I'm just saying that it's surprising they can't find one of 52 other players capable of long snapping. It's not a matter of long snapping being important, it's a matter of is it so specialized and unique a skill that you have to have one person dedicated to doing only that, not even being a backup at any other position? And while I'm comparing Madden I'll also note that Madden, a game that considers "LT" and "RT" and "LOLB" and "ROLB" completely different positions, doesn't yet have a "LS" position.
Did you read the article I linked?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »