Home

Week 15 Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Week 15 Discussion Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Week 15 Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
That is a LOT easier said than done.

It's easy to draft someone that you want to be your QB successor in a few years but generally their rookie contract is expiring about the time you want them to take over. No guarantee they will stay.
Like GB. What if Rodgers plays for another 3 seasons and stays healthy and plays well. Do you give Love that 5th year option not knowing what he is like on the field? In that case, you pretty much have too. What if he doesn't pan out in that 5th year, do you give up on him after just one season, or give him the tag just to see if he progresses. If he doesn't pan out, it sets them back because of the resources used to get him and grooming him for him for years.

Definitely is easier said than done. New England kept trying to find Brady's replacement and he outlasted them all and they were stuck with the situation where either they see what they had with Stidham or try strike lightning with Cam to stay competitive. Do the Saints really believe that Taysom Hill is a Franchise QB? What is TB plan after next season? Colts are going to going to be in a situation where they going to have to trade for a QB to extend their window.

Only 8 of 32 teams have a starting QB at the start of season that weren't drafted by them, not counting Alex Smith. Of those 8, only 3 of those QBs you could say there was long term plans(more than 2 years) for those QBs at the acquisition of them. Those are Brees, Jimmy G, and Cousins. Brady and Rivers were seen as a 1-2 year then retire move. Tannehill was supposed to be backup until Mariota flamed out. Cam was a salvage project/prove it deal at best. Bridgewater is seen as the bridge QB until they find the QB of future. Good QBs in their prime don't typically hit the market.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
For sure. Sitting front seat in Philly I can see how fast it can crumble, and that’s with a title in their pocket already. Fastest way to the bottom of the league is if Josh Allen gets injured. The next is...

One thing I’ve heard almost nothing about in the Bills map to success is coach continuity. Same HC, GM, DC, and OC for last 3 seasons (4 for all but the OC), on a team that’s made the playoffs in 3 of 4 years now. Simply incredible. For what it’s worth, I think Frazier and Daboll are at their best as coordinators. And I think they understand this too. Doesn’t mean if someone calls they won’t answer, especially Daboll who hasn’t had the HC experience yet and is now a heralded offensive mind. Man... I thought that dude was gonna be such an obvious flop. But he calls amazing games — helps when the players execute too. It’s been a perfect marriage. Getting 3 straight years with a top pick at QB really allowed the pair to grow together.

We’ll see what happens this off-season, but breaking up gang is my main concern going forward the next few years.
Right on the money. After the Ravens SB victory everyone points to losing vets and Flacco's contract, but what is often overlooked was the inability to land a long term OC. You can get by with changing coordinators often if its the same system and ideally promoting within, Ravens did this a number of years on the defensive side. But bringing in outside guys and changing systems doesn't help.

While the Bills youth is more of a strength, it will also make them more sensitive to coaching changes.
With Allen being a mvp "candidate," teams will probably come calling.
(The quotes isn't meant as a slight against him, only to convey he is a fringe candidate. Small market team and little name recognition)
Old 12-21-2020, 11:49 PM   #43
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't believe in luck, but the Packers couldn't' have been more lucky with Rodgers.

There is nothing that can be said that would lead me to believe they were 100% sold on Rodgers in 2008. If they were, why did they let Favre bully them the way he did? You simply say, 'no, stay home, we have our guy, we'll trade you', and thats that. Instead, Favre played them like a fiddle. They had to hire a Bush Press Secretary to do damage control for them (Ari Fleischer)

Just an unmitigated disaster.

They can't repeat this mistake with Rodgers, one way or the other.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Right on the money. After the Ravens SB victory everyone points to losing vets and Flacco's contract, but what is often overlooked was the inability to land a long term OC. You can get by with changing coordinators often if its the same system and ideally promoting within, Ravens did this a number of years on the defensive side. But bringing in outside guys and changing systems doesn't help.

While the Bills youth is more of a strength, it will also make them more sensitive to coaching changes.
With Allen being a mvp "candidate," teams will probably come calling.
(The quotes isn't meant as a slight against him, only to convey he is a fringe candidate. Small market team and little name recognition)
If teams start calling for Brian Daboll and Arthur Smith, how would Allen and Tannehill look in a different system. Being in the right system is key for a lot of players. If I was the Jets, unless they are in love with one of the other QBs, I would see if a coaching change and more surrounding talent could salvage Darnold. Adam Gase got hyped as a offensive wizard from his times with Denver and Chicago, but looking back those teams were stacked offensively and could have produced with anyone. Give him a good OC that can progress his game and Improve that offensive line, a WR1 and RB see if that can give him a Tannehill like rise
Old 12-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
If teams start calling for Brian Daboll and Arthur Smith, how would Allen and Tannehill look in a different system. Being in the right system is key for a lot of players. If I was the Jets, unless they are in love with one of the other QBs, I would see if a coaching change and more surrounding talent could salvage Darnold. Adam Gase got hyped as a offensive wizard from his times with Denver and Chicago, but looking back those teams were stacked offensively and could have produced with anyone. Give him a good OC that can progress his game and Improve that offensive line, a WR1 and RB see if that can give him a Tannehill like rise
I strongly believe that for middle of the pack QBs OC's have a HUGE effect. If its a good fit the guy can look like a upper tier QB. If its a bad fit the QB can look like a fringe starter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I strongly believe that for middle of the pack QBs OC's have a HUGE effect. If its a good fit the guy can look like a upper tier QB. If its a bad fit the QB can look like a fringe starter.
Exactly.
Look at Tannehill, moving from Gase to Arthur, he looks like a whole other QB. He was brought in just to push Mariota. Baker looks better with Stefanski. If a OC/system can figure out a QB can or cannot do and surround them with the necessary talent, it can have a dramatic impact on a middle tier QB

As an Eagles fan, I still feel Carson can be salvageable. He just might need to be in a different environment. I have felt that Doug Pederson needs to give up play calling. His playcalling is so 'men's. Ever since he stopped running RPOs, his play calls is so basic and predictable. I think Indy still can be a good place Carson. He had good repore with Reich.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »