Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 AM   #17
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
This is the **** that led us to 3v3's and SO's in the first place. Conservative coaching masked as "personnel strategy."

Shut up. You play defensive because you can still get away with mugging players regularly. Hopefully the open ice of 3v3 doesn't allow the jamming and clogging that so many teams rely on.

What they should do is scrap the SO and make OT continuous in a 3v3 or 4v4 fashion (ties aren't coming back, sorry). Let's see how many coaches sit back defensively, waiting for the other team to screw up, when their players know they've got a game tomorrow and want to get off the ice now.

5 minutes probably still isn't long enough for OT. Should've made it 10. Long enough to expect a result but not too long that the game is being dragged on. The NHL has the shortest game times in North American major pro sports already and I doubt another 5 minutes will change that.

And that ****ing loser point. It's called a LOSER point. Come on... get rid of it already! Rewarding teams for losing. Ha ha, the NHL summed up.
Re: The bold. I think its way more likely that ties come back over continuous OT in the regular season, but neither one is happening anytime soon. They'll keep the loser point as long as possible.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
NHL Off-Topic thread

It'll be a fight to get the PA to sign off on it [cont. OT] but the players need the money more then the owners. So we'll get ourselves another nice, long lockout until they agree or FACE TERMINATION.

Extending to 10 minutes might fly without the threat of closing down the workplace. I'd settle.

Once they got rid of ties they were never coming back. See how they didn't bring them back when talk of the SO being a gimmick got loud? The next move will be for extended time, then continuous if it gets there.

Still misses the point of needing to expand the nets and actually call penalties that exist, but I don't want to put too much pressure on the NHL. We know they're incompetent at best. Small tasks first. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

Last edited by slickdtc; 10-02-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #19
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Continuous OT in the regular season will never happen. There are injury/fatigue concerns, TV concerns, travel concerns. A few fans aside, nobody within the NHL community (owners, management, players, sponsors, media) wants this. It's a non-issue.
Quote:
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 10-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

I think the best way to do it is to do it like how I thought they were. 5 mins of 4 v 4 if no goals then 3 v 3 for 5 mins then the SO. That's 10 minutes of extra hockey and the 3 v 3 would be more prone to goal scoring than it is now. Because guys would have an extra 5 minutes of "wear and tear" on their body.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #21

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Or just 4 on 4,then a tie,no loser point. 2 points regardless of the outcome,will be handed out.

Unfortunately NHL is stuck in its current ways the people at the top are determined to have things in the league a certain way, from keeping teams in specific markets regardless of how much money they lose,to having the goalie trapezoid, to handing out "participation/loser points" for OT losers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
This is the **** that led us to 3v3's and SO's in the first place. Conservative coaching masked as "personnel strategy."

Shut up. You play defensive because you can still get away with mugging players regularly. Hopefully the open ice of 3v3 doesn't allow the jamming and clogging that so many teams rely on.

What they should do is scrap the SO and make OT continuous in a 3v3 or 4v4 fashion (ties aren't coming back, sorry). Let's see how many coaches sit back defensively, waiting for the other team to screw up, when their players know they've got a game tomorrow and want to get off the ice now.

5 minutes probably still isn't long enough for OT. Should've made it 10. Long enough to expect a result but not too long that the game is being dragged on. The NHL has the shortest game times in North American major pro sports already and I doubt another 5 minutes will change that.

And that ****ing loser point. It's called a LOSER point. Come on... get rid of it already! Rewarding teams for losing. Ha ha, the NHL summed up.
YES, YES and more YES!
I would absolutely love to get rid of any ties or loser points at all. Just play till there's a winner.
Like you said, I'd love to see coaches still go for a conservative method in OT knowing they have 2 more games to play in the next 3 days.
The PA would never go for this because of the amount of games they already play.
This is why I'd have no problems going from 82 to 70 games.
The owners have said they'd be happy to reduce the schedule but the PA won't take the subsequent paycut.
I think common ground can be found in the way of escrow and slowly cutting down on players salaries until revenues catch-up and things even out over a 5-year period.

However, even if both sides agreed to that, I'm afraid the 3-point game will never die.
Bettman needs it to create false parity so teams believe they're still in the running even though they have no shot.
I had read an interesting article on the subject showing how hard it was to gain 5 points on a playoff spot with up to 15 game left in the season.
With so many games handing out a LOSER point, it was extremely tough to make up 2.5 games in a months worth of games.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #23

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Or just abandon the point system and go to W/L records instead.

Prob with continuous OT is tv networks. Game going past scheduled time,so they have to delay next show airing. And of course,players getting tired more.

Though i dont get how networks won't like continuous ot. Ratings end up higher due to people watching ot till its done. Overruns are most watched part of almost any broadcast.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #24
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Or just abandon the point system and go to W/L records instead.

Prob with continuous OT is tv networks. Game going past scheduled time,so they have to delay next show airing. And of course,players getting tired more.

Though i dont get how networks won't like continuous ot. Ratings end up higher due to people watching ot till its done. Overruns are most watched part of almost any broadcast.

They adjust for MLB extra inning games, why not for NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »