Home

2016 Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. San Jose Sharks

This is a discussion on 2016 Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. San Jose Sharks within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: 2016 Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. San Jose Sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I don't think it's as simple as you say. Just snap the fingers and make defenders slower, dumber, and smaller? I would prefer something in between the 80s and dead puck era. Because you watch some of those old highlights and a lot of the defensive play and goaltending is straight up pathetic.
Not disagreeing with you in the least.
But I believe there's a happy medium where even if a defense and goalie play 100% flawlessly a top-end player should still be able to produce offense and games would have an average of 7-8 goals per game.

Not going to take this thread off the rails, but there are a few minor tweaks that can be made in order to get us closer to a 50/50 split between offense and defense.
It'll never happen though because the NHL, by and large, is run by former scrubs who don't understand the game the way the Gretzky's and Orr's did.

EDIT: Saying that, I am enjoying this years playoffs. I've watched more hockey this Spring than I have in the last 4 or 5 years combined.
I would still like to see more output from the stars on both sides though. And it's not from lack of trying.
It's just way too easy to stifle offense in today's game and refs not calling blatant penalties is reason #1.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #50
Rookie

75 58 47 old school's Arena

OVR: 0

Pittsburgh is a flat out skating team, much like the Soviets in the 70s and 80s. No one in the West has the foot speed to play on the same ice as Pittsburgh or Tampa. Sutter, Quenville and Hitchcock play dinosaur hockey, and the Pens style of play is the meteor. Raising the Cup should be the dust cloud that makes coaches like them, and their heavy style, obsolete. Someone blow Ben Reaves a kiss...as he rides off in an ECHL bus tour.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #51
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I would prefer something in between the 80s and dead puck era.
I remember that something. It was the early 90s, and it was fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #52
Rookie

Remember those times, too. There was a jingle at the time... Doobie, doobie do, Beware the ... Who? Thank goodness the league expansion drained the talent pool and allowed for "clutch and grab, Garage League Hockey". Nothing but roses since.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #53
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 58 47 old school
Remember those times, too. There was a jingle at the time... Doobie, doobie do, Beware the ... Who? Thank goodness the league expansion drained the talent pool and allowed for "clutch and grab, Garage League Hockey". Nothing but roses since.
https://youtu.be/JNPoSur4O4Y
Old 06-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #54
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Last thing we need is a superstar-driven league like the NBA where they hold referees, teams, and the media hostage. Inmates running the asylum.

No thanks. I don't mind at all that hockey has unexpected contributors.

I just think it's weird that people don't tune into a championship-deciding series of a major North American sport is all. I guess people have more interesting things to do with their time. I
Old 06-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Last thing we need is a superstar-driven league like the NBA where they hold referees, teams, and the media hostage. Inmates running the asylum.

No thanks. I don't mind at all that hockey has unexpected contributors.

I just think it's weird that people don't tune into a championship-deciding series of a major North American sport is all. I guess people have more interesting things to do with their time. I
I don't mind seeing unsung hero's decide the odd game, but only in the NHL is a rare occurrence when the best players are the deciding factor.
I think there's a happy medium between the NBA where you can set your watch to superstars performing on a nightly basis, to the NHL where you can win most bets that superstars will be a non-factor.
What sport wouldn't want their most valuable commodities to be the deciding factor in the most important time of the year? Apparently the NHL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
It'll never happen though because the NHL, by and large, is run by former scrubs who don't understand the game the way the Gretzky's and Orr's did#1.
To that point, many of the GMs don't want to, since a more skill based game not only would cause roster turmoil across the league, since many less skilled skaters would show their warts, but teams who couldn't skate wouldn't draw fans from losing games.

In a league where revenue is gate driven, lack of attendance is death.

Well, let's allow for some 'heavy' play to even the odds for the less skilled teams, and hey, we got 25 teams in playoff contention till mid-March!!! Everyone wins!!!

Go ahead and re-sign Ken Hitchcock!!! Concussions??? Lawsuits??? What's that, eh???

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »