Home

The Official 2017-18 Regular Season Talk Thread

This is a discussion on The Official 2017-18 Regular Season Talk Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #161
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: The Official 2017-18 Regular Season Talk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I have won a couple bar bets with this information Best was when I got my whole tab paid by a guy who was ADAMENT that there was no way the USSR won silver.
And they call this sort of knowledge "trivia"......pfft. When has having an advanced degree ever gotten anyone a bar tab paid for?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #162

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Someone do something to the leafs. January has sucked. Can't score and blow leads.

Maybe if they fixed this RHD problem they've had for generations, they'd notice a difference. Hainsey can't play on right side and Polak shouldn't play either side. Now Rielly might be hurt. If they get a top line RHD, I'd be fine giving up Liljegren, JVR, Kapanen in this deal.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #163
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
For me, the 02 Olympics is one that I remember the most. I even remember getting a DVD series on the Mens and Womens 02 Olympic hockey runs. I came in cereal boxes lol. With no NHLers at Olympics this year, might just watch that DVD again(if I can find the whole series).

Just sucks that networks can't air old Olympic events on TV. Would've loved to see some old gold medal games. Guess I'll have to settle for youtube videos.
Was that the Cami Granato era? I legitimately recall being interested in women's hockey during that period (giggity)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #164

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
Was that the Cami Granato era? I legitimately recall being interested in women's hockey during that period (giggity)
Not sure about specific names, but I most remember Cassie Campbell and Hayley Wickenheiser on that team.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #165
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
Cammi Granato played for Team USA in '98 and '02, yes. Always reminded me too much of her brother to find her all that attractive, but others (Ray Ferraro in particular) beg to differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2018, 01:06 AM   #166
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
There are a couple common misconceptions about the Miracle on Ice. One is that it was the gold medal game, which you avoided. But also, it wasn't a semi-final. USSR won the silver medal at that Games.

The medal round was a funky round robin where your group game against the other team that made it to the final counted as your final round game. Then you played the top 2 teams from the other group. Going into that last game the US had the possibility of finishing with any of the 3 medals (I think - would need to know tiebreakers and can't find them). A win guaranteed gold, but there was still a game to be played afterwards between USSR and Sweden that would determine the US medal if they lost.
What many also forget (but won't find surprising) is that one of the reasons the Miracle on Ice got such a big TV audience is that millions of viewers already knew the US had won. ABC showed it on 3-hour tape delay. The game was broadcast live in Canada, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 01-19-2018, 01:23 AM   #167
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Cammi Granato played for Team USA in '98 and '02, yes. Always reminded me too much of her brother to find her all that attractive, but others (Ray Ferraro in particular) beg to differ.
to be clear, my giggity had nothing to do with her level of attractiveness, I'm just way too immature for my age
Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #168
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
What many also forget (but won't find surprising) is that one of the reasons the Miracle on Ice got such a big TV audience is that millions of viewers already knew the US had won. ABC showed it on 3-hour tape delay. The game was broadcast live in Canada, of course.
Yes, that part I knew. But it does reinforce what everyone also already knew about America: we love a winner!

I have actually never seen the 'Miracle on Ice' game from start to finish, to be honest. It was always a grainy, poor-quality video/audio clip (gotta have the audio...) that I learned about when I was older as this famous moment, but for whatever reason I never felt particularly compelled to go find the whole game and watch it. My impression is that it was not the most exciting game in the world from a hockey aesthetic point of view (although maybe that's wrong), but it was made exciting by the circumstances/outcome.

Plus, I have a hard time rooting against Igor Larionov and Slava Fetisov.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »