Home

Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022)

This is a discussion on Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022) within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #17

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL to Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldTonk
I don't see how the season ticket campaign could fail. All of the T-Birds and Silvertips fans in the area. Not to mention the Winterhawks fans down south. This area is begging for NHL hockey.

The VAN/SEA rivalry would be an instant classic as the PDX/SEA/VAN MLS has become. Have their own Cascadia Cup.

Been a casual hockey fan for a long time watching and going to the T-Birds, Rockets and now Silvertips games. Totally psyched for the NHL to come.
Really don't see how this ticket drive fails at all. Might even catch some bandwagoner Canucks fans jumping on board too with the way the Canucks franchise has been run the past few years.

All this is stuff is basically just a formality at this point.

The most noteworthy parts of all this will be how NHL adjusts to a 32nd team. Will it just be having 8 teams per division(like how things are now), 4 teams per division(like NFL)? What might the cap look like come 2020? Can NHL afford to have a lockout when you got a new team coming in? And what might expansion rules for this draft look like?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #18

Majingir's Arena

13 names that were registered by someone within the ownership group for the Seattle team:

Quote:
Cougars, Eagles, Emeralds, Evergreens, Firebirds, Kraken, Rainiers, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Sockeyes, Totems and Whales.
Kraken apparently is one which has gotten lots of attention from people.

Emeralds has been he one I've liked for years. Firebirds would be a cool sounding name too. And I think Kraken would actually produce a cool logo.

Evergreens just sounds like a minor league baseball name. Rainers, Sockeyes I don't think would be too good. Sea lions will get shortened to Lions by fans very quickly. Seals wouldn't have been bad, but there was already a team called the Seals in the NHL. Similar to Whales, just too similar to the Whalers.

Cougars, Eagles, Renegades all wouldn't be bad choices either, but don't know their significance to Seattle.

The team colors while not confirmed, I'd imagine will be primarily green(the arena seating will be green, and the Sonics were green too). So that might play factor in naming decision too. Don't think we'll see a green cougar, or have another sports team called the Eagles which is heavy on the green.

Last edited by Majingir; 01-20-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #19

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I like Rainiers but seeing that it's already a current name of a baseball team in the same state I'm not quite sure how they were able to register it.

I don't really know how that stuff works though.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #20

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I like Rainiers but seeing that it's already a current name of a baseball team in the same state I'm not quite sure how they were able to register it.

I don't really know how that stuff works though.
Not to mention the Seattle Rainers were also a minor league baseball team that existed until the Mariners came.

Though I also don't know how any of this naming stuff works. Vegas still having a dispute over their Golden Knights name (with Army Golden Knights, though I don't think they even play hockey), and couldn't use the Knights name because of the London Knights in the OHL.

Though obviously other names like Jets,Panthers,Giants and many more can be used by teams in different sports. And a name like the Rangers are used by two different North American hockey teams.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #21
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
13 names that were registered by someone within the ownership group for the Seattle team:

Kraken apparently is one which has gotten lots of attention from people.

Emeralds has been he one I've liked for years. Firebirds would be a cool sounding name too. And I think Kraken would actually produce a cool logo.

Evergreens just sounds like a minor league baseball name. Rainers, Sockeyes I don't think would be too good. Sea lions will get shortened to Lions by fans very quickly. Seals wouldn't have been bad, but there was already a team called the Seals in the NHL. Similar to Whales, just too similar to the Whalers.

Cougars, Eagles, Renegades all wouldn't be bad choices either, but don't know their significance to Seattle.

The team colors while not confirmed, I'd imagine will be primarily green(the arena seating will be green, and the Sonics were green too). So that might play factor in naming decision too. Don't think we'll see a green cougar, or have another sports team called the Eagles which is heavy on the green.
Cougars (both kinds) are fairly common in the Northwest. Of the names mentioned, I prefer Sockeyes and Emeralds. (Emeralds is also a MiLB name, BTW.)

I'm curious if the Thunderbirds name might be on the table. I know the WHL's Seattle team says they'll be fine if the NHL moves in, but I have my doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #22

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Cougars (both kinds) are fairly common in the Northwest. Of the names mentioned, I prefer Sockeyes and Emeralds. (Emeralds is also a MiLB name, BTW.)

I'm curious if the Thunderbirds name might be on the table. I know the WHL's Seattle team says they'll be fine if the NHL moves in, but I have my doubts.
Don't think a name like Emeralds will be an issue. If anything, Seattle at least has a more legit reason to use that than Vegas did to use Golden Knights.

And I don't think they're thinking about using Thunderbirds, but seeing how Firebirds is one of the options, perhaps that's the alternative they'll take instead of completely taking Thunderbirds name.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #23
All Star

OVR: 13

I like Sea Lions, Seals, and Sockeye. I like the alliteration and it sorta fits with the "Seattle Sea-[x]" template for Seattle sports teams. Well, not the Mariners I guess....

But the real best name for the team is "Supersonics".
Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM   #24
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I like Sea Lions, Seals, and Sockeye. I like the alliteration and it sorta fits with the "Seattle Sea-[x]" template for Seattle sports teams. Well, not the Mariners I guess....

But the real best name for the team is "Supersonics".
This brings up a question few are asking. If the Sonics return in the next 5 years or so, will Seattle still be a "thriving hockey market"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »