Home

The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

This is a discussion on The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
EA Sports UFC 3 Patch 1.12 Available - Adds 2 Fighters and 3 Gameplay Tuning Changes
How WWE 2K Is Taking Cues From NBA 2K
NASCAR Heat 3 Trial Available Now For Xbox One and PlayStation 4
View Poll Results: Who Will Win the 2019 Stanley Cup?
Ducks 0 0%
Coyotes 0 0%
Bruins 0 0%
Sabres 0 0%
Flames 0 0%
Hurricanes 0 0%
Blackhawks 0 0%
Avalanche 1 9.09%
Blue Jackets 0 0%
Stars 0 0%
Red Wings 0 0%
Oilers 0 0%
Panthers 0 0%
Kings 0 0%
Wild 1 9.09%
Canadiens 0 0%
Predators 0 0%
Devils 1 9.09%
Islanders 0 0%
Rangers 0 0%
Senators 0 0%
Flyers 0 0%
Penguins 1 9.09%
Sharks 1 9.09%
Blues 0 0%
Lightning 4 36.36%
Maple Leafs 0 0%
Canucks 0 0%
Golden Knights 0 0%
Capitals 1 9.09%
Jets 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Moderator
 
Majingir's Arena
 
OVR: 22
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25,106
Blog Entries: 1
The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

It's September and you know what that means!

Pre-season begins September 15 with Bruins/Flames in China. Regular season begins October 3rd.

First NHL season since 99-00 with no Sedins. And from Canucks standpoint, no team with

Naslund,Sedins,Smyl,Kerns or Quinn(as player or coach) on it for first time in franchise history.

Any predictions/hopes for this season?

Quote:
Atlantic:
1.
2.
3.

Metro:
1.
2.
3.

East WC:
1.
2.

Pacific:
1.
2.
3.

Central:
1.
2.
3.

West WC:
1.
2.

Last Place:

Stanley Cup Final:
My picks so far:

Atlantic:
1.Lightning
2.Leafs
3.Bruins

Metro:
1.Caps
2.Pens
3.Flyers

East WC:
1.Jackets
2.Panthers

Central:
1.Preds
2.Jets
3.Wild

Pacific:
1.Kings
2.Sharks
3.Ducks

West WC:
1.Blues
2.Flames

Last Place:
Wings

Stanley Cup Final:
Lightning vs Preds (my hopes would be Leafs vs Preds or Jets)


Last edited by Majingir; 09-30-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Majingir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
RF
 
TheMatrix31's Arena
 
OVR: 36
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 55,866
Re: The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

Gonna wait for predictions to see if anyone gets hurt during camp/preseason. But I'm sure glad it's creeping up.
TheMatrix31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Majingir's Arena
 
OVR: 22
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25,106
Blog Entries: 1
Re: The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

I just hope one day NHL abandons this stupid playoff format. It's my least fave of all the leagues.

And what's sadder is how it seems like people in the league itself(players/gms/owners) don't mind it. Probably won't even be addressed unless something crazy happens like a team missing out on playoffs when 3rd seed in other division is worse.

Sure, "to be the best you have to beat the best", but who would want to face the best early on? You at least want the journey and great moments in playoffs leading up to that matchup instead of possibly being out in round 1 in 6-7 games because you had a conference finals worthy match to kick off the playoffs.

Loser point is a whole different debate which won't be bothered with either, even when you just had a season where a team who not only made playoffs but finished top 3 in their division had 2 fewer wins than a team that missed the playoffs.

Last edited by Majingir; 09-03-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Majingir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Majingir's Arena
 
OVR: 22
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25,106
Blog Entries: 1
Re: The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

After what we've seen this week, I should change my predictions. I'd put Sharks ahead of Kings to win division, and Knights topping the Flames for the final WC spot.
Majingir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
MVP
 
mjavon's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Blog Entries: 3
Re: The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I just hope one day NHL abandons this stupid playoff format. It's my least fave of all the leagues.

And what's sadder is how it seems like people in the league itself(players/gms/owners) don't mind it. Probably won't even be addressed unless something crazy happens like a team missing out on playoffs when 3rd seed in other division is worse.

Sure, "to be the best you have to beat the best", but who would want to face the best early on? You at least want the journey and great moments in playoffs leading up to that matchup instead of possibly being out in round 1 in 6-7 games because you had a conference finals worthy match to kick off the playoffs.

Loser point is a whole different debate which won't be bothered with either, even when you just had a season where a team who not only made playoffs but finished top 3 in their division had 2 fewer wins than a team that missed the playoffs.
I wouldn't be surprised if they change the divisional structure once Seattle comes along and they're at 32. I want to see eight divisions of four teams like the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
__________________
----------------------
PSN/Steam: southtitan
----------------------
mjavon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Majingir's Arena
 
OVR: 22
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25,106
Blog Entries: 1
Re: The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
I wouldn't be surprised if they change the divisional structure once Seattle comes along and they're at 32. I want to see eight divisions of four teams like the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
That's what I've been hoping for all sports for ages now. NFL has best division setup.

NHL more than any of the big 4 leagues I think benefits from that format the most. In an East and West conference, you need 16 teams from each. In an NFL style division, you need 8 true west and 8 true east.

With that format, you have 4 division winners and 4 "wild card" teams. Division winners aren't guaranteed home ice advantage, and we have re-seeding after each round. That'd be my dream scenario for a 32 team league.

West 1: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg
West 2: San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Seattle
South 1: Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas
South 2: Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Nashville
North 1: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo
North 2: St.Louis, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit
East 1: Boston, Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey
East 2: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Columbus

Last edited by Majingir; 09-13-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Majingir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
All Star
 
DrJones's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

An NFL-style format of 8 divisions/4 teams makes zero sense for the NHL. Either division games will make up a tiny amount of the schedule, or you're playing the same division rivals 10-16 times per year. Hard pass.

It's much more likely (and desirable IMO) that the Coyotes get punted to the Central once Seattle joins the league. The current playoff format needs a re-do, but there's nothing wrong with 4 divisions of 8 teams.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
Dr. Jones was right in stating that. We should have believed him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
DrJones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame
 
Money99's Arena
 
OVR: 37
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kingsville, ONT
Blog Entries: 6
Re: The Official 2018-19 Season Talk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
An NFL-style format of 8 divisions/4 teams makes zero sense for the NHL. Either division games will make up a tiny amount of the schedule, or you're playing the same division rivals 10-16 times per year. Hard pass.



It's much more likely (and desirable IMO) that the Coyotes get punted to the Central once Seattle joins the league. The current playoff format needs a re-do, but there's nothing wrong with 4 divisions of 8 teams.


Totally agree.
I loved the old format of playing out of your division. It created some great rivalries.
My biggest concern is that the NHL will do something stupid and add more teams to the playoff picture once Seattle joins.



Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Money99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Top -