Home

The Official 2019-20 Season Talk Thread

This is a discussion on The Official 2019-20 Season Talk Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: The Official 2019-20 Season Talk Thread

Took my son to a Wings game last night as a b'day gift.
Man are they horrendous.
The only two forwards who could do anything were Larkin and Mantha. The rest could barely make a play, accept a pass or generate any legit scoring chances.
Glendenning, Helm, Abby, etc... they all look like they should be in the AHL or ECHL.
Filpulla and Nielsen were completely invisible. Even Athanasiou fumbled with the puck most of the night.
Bertuzzi is alright, but he's only effective if he's playing with Larkin and Mantha.

This team is horrible. I'm glad I only paid $13 for the tickets via SeatGeek. Anything else would have been a ripoff.

I'm definitely spoiled from the 90's Wings. When there wasn't an obvious play to make, they circled back, regrouped and tried again.
Last night, there were multiple times a Wings forward would blindly toss the puck at anyone if pressured.
This includes at Vancouver players. Mantha got drilled in the gut by a teammate who ran out of options.
Open ice passes were missed, and if they were delivered, most of the time, the guy couldn't receive it without fumbling the pass or it just crashed off their stick and away from them.

At least it was 80's night! For once the music was good and I didn't have to hear the same stupid 'theme' songs when penalties occurred; "What's going on!!", "I'm an innocent man!", etc, etc.

Last edited by Money99; 10-23-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #42
All Star

OVR: 13

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ds/4072284002/

Jonathan Ericsson clears waivers; Red Wings assign him to Grand Rapids
Old 10-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ds/4072284002/

Jonathan Ericsson clears waivers; Red Wings assign him to Grand Rapids

Pietasterp, don’t know if you remember this but I recall listening to 1130 The Fan and how both Babcock and Holland were saying Ericsson (who was a young kid in Grand Rapids) was a potential Norris Trophy winner who would fill Lidstrom’s shoes one day.
Boy did that not turn out.
But at one time, he had great potential. A big body who could skate and had offensive creativity - based on his experience as a centre growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #44
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

While they're at it they can send Daley down as well.

I'm curious to see how Yzerman will fill out the D next year. If they decide to cancel the Bowey experiment, that'll leave them with DeKeyser and Nemeth as veterans and Hronek and Cholowski as youngsters as far as defenders with NHL experience under contract.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #45
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

This team is horrible. I'm glad I only paid $13 for the tickets via SeatGeek. Anything else would have been a ripoff.

I'm definitely spoiled from the 90's Wings. When there wasn't an obvious play to make, they circled back, regrouped and tried again.
Last night, there were multiple times a Wings forward would blindly toss the puck at anyone if pressured.

You need to get you some players again with names ending in "OV"

Lovin' me some Kevin Hayes. Guy came in lookin' like he should've been born in a Flyers uniform. It's bull**** they took away his first goal last night on the ticky tack offsides call. S'ok, he rectified that later.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #46

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Like I've said before, the problem with the NHL....

https://twitter.com/DLSpencer10/stat...147084290?s=20

Ya, ONLY Leafs fans hate the format....Even though Bruins beat them, I'm sure Bruins would've preferred facing the 7 seed over 5 seed last year, and the 7 seed over 4 seed the year before. Not to mention they didn't have home ice advantage in 2018 round 2 despite being the 2 seed!

Way more instances of teams getting screwed by the playoff format.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #47
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Pietasterp, don’t know if you remember this but I recall listening to 1130 The Fan and how both Babcock and Holland were saying Ericsson (who was a young kid in Grand Rapids) was a potential Norris Trophy winner who would fill Lidstrom’s shoes one day.
Boy did that not turn out.
But at one time, he had great potential. A big body who could skate and had offensive creativity - based on his experience as a centre growing up.
I do remember that time....when the Wings were relevant and we thought we'd just re-load the roster forever. Ericsson may have been at best solid, and almost definitely a better player than my memory will give him credit for, but all I remember about the guy is that he made me want to drown a sack full of kittens every time I watched him play. Not having him on the roster is, I suppose, a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
While they're at it they can send Daley down as well.

I'm curious to see how Yzerman will fill out the D next year. If they decide to cancel the Bowey experiment, that'll leave them with DeKeyser and Nemeth as veterans and Hronek and Cholowski as youngsters as far as defenders with NHL experience under contract.
Yeah, I think we're all curious what happens. It's year one of the evaluation/teardown, but the hard part - the rebuild - is yet to come. I have faith in Stevie Y but Rome (and the Tampa Bay Lightning) wasn't built in a day.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

The intensity in the first 5 minutes of this Blues-Bruins game feels like they're picking right up where they left off in June.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »