Home

Official NASCAR Series News Thread

This is a discussion on Official NASCAR Series News Thread within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Official NASCAR Series News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
"Boys, have at it," was one of the worst decisions NASCAR has made. Racing should be about who can drive the fastest and most skillfully, not who has the widest chrome horn.

The Truck Series finish last August on the road course at Mosport, in which the winner drove the leader into the fence on the final straightaway, was appalling. Any other sanctioning body would have removed the victory for the driver who pile-drove the leader into the wall, and rightfully so. That's not racing.
To clarify, I agree with them being able to use their bumper when necessary. There are boundaries, yes. Putting someone in the wall on the last lap for a win, would be one of those boundaries. I want to see drivers with emotion. The drivers prior to recently were able to police themselves, my God the incident that made NASCAR famous, would result in race suspensions in today's NASCAR.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:58 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko3219
To clarify, I agree with them being able to use their bumper when necessary. There are boundaries, yes. Putting someone in the wall on the last lap for a win, would be one of those boundaries. I want to see drivers with emotion. The drivers prior to recently were able to police themselves, my God the incident that made NASCAR famous, would result in race suspensions in today's NASCAR.
Were you saying that after this? Obviously not to the extent of that truck finish, but in the wall enough to keep him from winning.

https://youtu.be/Hk2gaBS_Wpw?t=4m51s

I think most of us considered that good, hard racing.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #59
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
Were you saying that after this? Obviously not to the extent of that truck finish, but in the wall enough to keep him from winning.

I enjoyed that finish. I'm more referring to, intentionally ending someone's day at the end just so you can win. That was an exciting finish.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #60
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:

That was fine. Side-to-side contact while racing for a win. Beautiful.

But moving a leading car with your front bumper because you lack the speed or driving skill to make a clean pass is 100 percent BS in every instance. That's not good, hard racing. It's lack of talent.

Sadly, most NASCAR fans consider that part of racing. It's not.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
That was fine. Side-to-side contact while racing for a win. Beautiful.

But moving a leading car with your front bumper because you lack the speed or driving skill to make a clean pass is 100 percent BS in every instance. That's not good, hard racing. It's lack of talent.

Sadly, most NASCAR fans consider that part of racing. It's not.
So what's the opinion on the Earnhardt/Labonte incident to end the Bristol night race in 1999? I wouldn't classify Earnhardt as having a 'lack of talent'.

And what makes using the side of your car for a non-clean pass not BS? There's unavoidable contact and then there is avoidable contact. Larson could have given room there. Sure, it might have cost him the win, but isn't needing to use your car to get another driver into the wall enough to keep him behind you just as unjustified?

I'm not saying any of these cases are right or wrong. It sounds like we try to make black-and-white out of something that is, and always will be, mostly gray. The truck incident with Nemechek? Sure, wrong all around. But I wouldn't call Larson's move clean by any stretch. So what makes a good racing move, well, good?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #62
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
So what's the opinion on the Earnhardt/Labonte incident to end the Bristol night race in 1999? I wouldn't classify Earnhardt as having a 'lack of talent'.
A crap move by Earnhardt. He didn't have the speed to pass Labonte that night, so he moved him out of the way. Even the greats sometimes resort to bush-league tactics.

Quote:
And what makes using the side of your car for a non-clean pass not BS? There's unavoidable contact and then there is avoidable contact. Larson could have given room there. Sure, it might have cost him the win, but isn't needing to use your car to get another driver into the wall enough to keep him behind you just as unjustified?

I'm not saying any of these cases are right or wrong. It sounds like we try to make black-and-white out of something that is, and always will be, mostly gray. The truck incident with Nemechek? Sure, wrong all around. But I wouldn't call Larson's move clean by any stretch. So what makes a good racing move, well, good?
There's just as much risk for the originator of side-to-side contact as there is the receiver. Tell me how many times you've seen the trailing car in a deliberate chrome horn bump-and-run spin along with the leading car that was hit in the rear. Almost never?

Nose-to-tail contact is far more crippling for the lead car than side-to-side contact. Plus there's a lot of aero push and shenanigans when cars run that close side to side, especially in a tri-oval section of a track.

Proper racing shouldn't feature bush-league contact. But then again, NASCAR isn't governed by the same code of ethics and conduct as nearly every other form of circuit racing on Earth other than perhaps short-track, closed-fendered racing.

You don't see BS, intentional contact like that in an open-wheel sprint car race because the outcome could be serious injury or death for the driver. There's more skill and respect in short-track sprint car and midget racing than in nearly every Cup race.

Last edited by pk500; 01-30-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #63
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

Las Vegas adding second Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race in 2018

Quote:
Officials from Las Vegas Motor Speedway and representatives from the city itself announced Wednesday that the Nevada-based track would host two Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races annually beginning in 2018.

The news comes two days before on-track activity for this weekend's Boyd Gaming 300 NASCAR XFINITY Series and Kobalt Tools 400 Monster Energy Series events.

The race addition has been met with positive feedback throughout the industry and is a move NASCAR supports, according to league officials.

Speedway president Chris Powell said during Wednesday's announcement that the two questions he is most often asked are about job opportunities at the 1.5-mile venue and when the track would obtain a second major race date.

“And it turns out in March of 2017 … we can make this special announcement," he said.

The city of Las Vegas, he said, "becomes the only city in the history of NASCAR to have two tripleheader weekends."

Specific dates have not been made final.

Currently, Las Vegas hosts the Monster Energy Series and NASCAR XFINITY Series in March, and a stand-alone event for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in the fall.
Doesn't explicitly say who's going to lose a date.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #64
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
Las Vegas adding second Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race in 2018

Doesn't explicitly say who's going to lose a date.

New Hampshire loses their second date

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »