Home

F1 2017 Is Incredibly Deep and a Must-Buy For Racing Fans

This is a discussion on F1 2017 Is Incredibly Deep and a Must-Buy For Racing Fans within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #65
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: F1 2017 Is Incredibly Deep and a Must-Buy For Racing Fans

"Senna" is a terrific documentary, if far too biased toward Senna. The film depicts Senna as a saint and Prost as the devil, when the truth was somewhere in between. The biggest sinner in their rivalry, by far, was FIA President Balestre, an incompetent twit.

Senna, for all of his brilliance, also spawned the "win at all costs" mentality and its associated dirty driving tactics that we still see today, especially since the cars and circuits are so much safer than even 25 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #66
Rookie

GoBlue7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggitydawg
Well, I have jumped into the F1 world with both feet....and getting my butt kicked...but enjoying the hell out of it. Kudos to you who do NOT have to use any traction assist... I could not get out of the first turns in Australia without it. So yep, I have some assists going...have been working the short circuit championship and managed a second place finish in the U.S.
Seems I get bumped by A1-spun out- and they never have to give back position, but if I touch one of them I get warnings, and deductions...anyone else experience this?

Debating really jumping into a career...love the game...hope I get better..and think I definitely need to purchase the wheel...I am way too jumpy with the PS4 controller.
No traction control is difficult until you get used to it, and on a controller its extra difficult. Even though my T80 is a low end wheel, I will take it all day over a controller. You will actually produce lower lap times without traction control, and assists in general.

The AI has been known to hit you from behind on straights. This years game they actually seem better about not doing it. It was a larger annoyance in prior titles. It also seems to be a legacy issue that if you have contact with the AI, regardless of who is at fault, the player always gets the warning or penalty.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue7
No traction control is difficult until you get used to it, and on a controller its extra difficult. Even though my T80 is a low end wheel, I will take it all day over a controller. You will actually produce lower lap times without traction control, and assists in general.

The AI has been known to hit you from behind on straights. This years game they actually seem better about not doing it. It was a larger annoyance in prior titles. It also seems to be a legacy issue that if you have contact with the AI, regardless of who is at fault, the player always gets the warning or penalty.
Thanks for the tips and info...appreciated
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #68
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Funny story about my run at Bahrain...

I usually run well at this track, and amazingly to my surprise still so early in my career with a 'midpack' car like the Haas, I got the pole! Lined up right next to Vettel.

I run 25% races and my pit window opened at lap 5, and I spent those five laps driving my absolute *** off trying to keep Vettel behind me (which I did!).

Around lap 3 my chief said something about the fuel mixture...didn't quite hear it though...

Pit, new tires, try not to crash into the field as you get rocketed out of the pit exit into turn 1 lol. I mean I MASHED my brakes and slotted myself in to the parade. Back to racing and catching up.

Chief says that we're not going to have enough fuel, reduce the mixture.

ruh roh. I don't remember how to do that! I only had to do it once for a race in Canada last year! Gah!!! L1 button??...no that's just status questions about weather, position and tyres!!

Pause menu any help?? Nooooo!!!!

Ahh! This is hard to figure out while driving!!!! ****!!

After awhile I just said oh well, I'll just lift and roll earlier...I'm still hanging in there in 2nd! 4 laps to go!

I was told fuel was gone a little over halfway through the final lap, and people were catching up to me because I was lifting and rolling too much.

EEEEEeeoooowwwww!!! Two cars run past, as I am now nursing the car and just making sure I FINISH.

I round the final turn and just start up the last straight to the line and she quits on me....eeeeeeooowww there goes another car past me just as I coast over the line for a 6th place finish that COULD have been a podium if I'd figured out how to fix my mixture!!

The educational part of this post, for any of your new folks (or people with bad memory like me) is that on PS4 you simply push the circle button whilst driving and the mixture adjustment comes right up...a simple left or right click of your D-pad to raise or lower your mixture so you can, you know, finish the race when you LIE on your mileage test in practice!!!

Thanks for reading and laughing at me...I had that a-comin'!

Awesome, but that sucks, but it's still funny lol

Want me to make it worse for you? Ok, I will.

You could have just pressed left on the d-pad to change to lean mix, or right on the d-pad to change to rich.

It's actually that simple, you don't need to cycle through the multi function display menu's until you get the one that shows fuel mix.

Also... after you pressed L1 to get the voice commands, you could have given the voice command to change fuel mix as well.

I'd have fired you if you were my driver. lol

All jokes aside, that's a good one.

Be careful though with your pre-race strategy. I feel like it sets your fuel load based on your results from the fuel saving practice programme. If you're anything like me the way you drive that program, is nothing like how you race. So make sure you adjust your strategy pre-race to have enough fuel in the car. I think running the different fuel mixes for long periods adds to the component wear too.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #69
MVP

brandon27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue7

I find the AI plays a bit too bumper car like at times. I'm terrible at starts, and I've lost track of how many times I've been rammed by the car behind me going into the first turn. That's ok, BUT the problem is that once they've made contact, they just keep driving as if you don't exist. They'll be "on" you, and just keep driving until you're out of the way, as if the AI doesn't know it's hit you. Rather than hitting you, and slowing down, or changing course to get around, they just keep on driving. It's weird. I've never seen it do that in past games.

As for penalties, yes, it's pretty sensitive, and always seems to be the players fault, likely because the game determines the AI car stayed on it's line, and it's you that didn't keep your line and as a result, "initiated" the contact.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I find the AI plays a bit too bumper car like at times. I'm terrible at starts, and I've lost track of how many times I've been rammed by the car behind me going into the first turn. That's ok, BUT the problem is that once they've made contact, they just keep driving as if you don't exist. They'll be "on" you, and just keep driving until you're out of the way, as if the AI doesn't know it's hit you. Rather than hitting you, and slowing down, or changing course to get around, they just keep on driving. It's weird. I've never seen it do that in past games.

As for penalties, yes, it's pretty sensitive, and always seems to be the players fault, likely because the game determines the AI car stayed on it's line, and it's you that didn't keep your line and as a result, "initiated" the contact.
Agreed with your comment...they hit, keep driving into me and they don't seem to suffer damage. , but other than this, enjoying the hell out of it
Old 09-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #71
MVP

brandon27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggitydawg
Agreed with your comment...they hit, keep driving into me and they don't seem to suffer damage. , but other than this, enjoying the hell out of it

Yeah, it's really weird. I even spun once into a turn, I was completely sideways and an AI car drove into the side of me and just kept trying to drive, as if it was a bulldozer pushing me out of the way. I'd like to see them try and avoid me, and if they do hit me, at least stop, but they seem to just keep going for some odd reason. I think they do take damage though, because I've seen them drop back, and eventually pit. I don't think they take damage as easily as the players car though.

That's one thing that's always got me about racing games. It's as if the AI, and player cars always have different handling models, and damage models. Likely so the player cant take advantage of the AI. However, if your damage model is right, and you're trying to bump guys out of the way, you should be paying for it. I guess the issue is if damage is off... but even then... why try and balance it? If the player wants their experience to be driving around, spinning everyone out with no repercussions, then so be it I guess.

That being said, Ive always felt the AI in this series to be pretty balanced in that regard, but something about them this year has them a bit too aggressive in those situations. I love how aggressive they race compared to years past, but I'd like to see them not be bulldozers. If they hit me, they should be slowing, stopping, trying to get around... something other than just driving normally as if I don't even exist other than the fact they're pushing me around now, and that's slowing them down because of the weight, not because the AI driver is actually trying to slow down and move. They just keep driving as if they're oblivious. I've seen them do it on straights too, they catch me with the draft and DRS, if I block and they hit me, they just stay right on me pushing me until either I spin or we hit the turn and start braking. It's odd, never seen it before in the series. I'm sure they'll get it fixed up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #72
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Be careful though with your pre-race strategy. I feel like it sets your fuel load based on your results from the fuel saving practice programme. If you're anything like me the way you drive that program, is nothing like how you race. So make sure you adjust your strategy pre-race to have enough fuel in the car. I think running the different fuel mixes for long periods adds to the component wear too.
I believe that is set by the results of the race strategy test...could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »