Home

F1 2017...How is your career going?

This is a discussion on F1 2017...How is your career going? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: F1 2017...How is your career going?

Well you inspired me so I did Monaco today.

Of course, rain through practice

Of course, I couldn't turn satisfactory times for the tire test, or fuel test and failed those.

Then, a rainy qualifying session (that I thought there'd be three of, but just one session w/3 laps, so naturally I quit after one lap and was stuck back 17th.

Then a rainy race....was not supposed to have to stop and stay on wets (25% races), but my front wing kept jacked by other drivers (not the track walls, though I did have a few replays for that too) so I wound up pitting three times and wound up lapped and 19th place. I also got to discover what blue flags are in F1 in this race since I was so off the pace.

So, that race sucked, but dammit I finished!!!!

I wanted some redemption so I broke the norm and ran another weekend for the next race in Canada I owned all of the practices and qualified 5th, and after some combat with Ferrari and a silver arrow I placed first in another 100% rain race w/one stop to switch from wets to intermediates.

Then I got promoted to 1st driver, moved up to 4th in driver standings, and the three teams who are most interested in me are Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Renault.

Take that, Monaco.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 09-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Well you inspired me so I did Monaco today.

Of course, rain through practice

Of course, I couldn't turn satisfactory times for the tire test, or fuel test and failed those.

Then, a rainy qualifying session (that I thought there'd be three of, but just one session w/3 laps, so naturally I quit after one lap and was stuck back 17th.

Then a rainy race....was not supposed to have to stop and stay on wets (25% races), but my front wing kept jacked by other drivers (not the track walls, though I did have a few replays for that too) so I wound up pitting three times and wound up lapped and 19th place. I also got to discover what blue flags are in F1 in this race since I was so off the pace.

So, that race sucked, but dammit I finished!!!!

I wanted some redemption so I broke the norm and ran another weekend for the next race in Canada I owned all of the practices and qualified 5th, and after some combat with Ferrari and a silver arrow I placed first in another 100% rain race w/one stop to switch from wets to intermediates.

Then I got promoted to 1st driver, moved up to 4th in driver standings, and the three teams who are most interested in me are Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Renault.

Take that, Monaco.
Very nice. I forgot to mention that I got promoted to first driver after my fourth place at Russia. Currently sitting in 8th place in the Driver's World Championship, 6th in the constructor's race.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2
F1 2017...How is your career going?

I just finished trudging around Bahrain. The car failed its diet and the weight reduction that was supposed to be delivered had to wait for another day.

Practice programs were hit and miss with a compete failed fuel management program. I don't like to replay them as a house rule.

Qualifying was respectable I slotted my Haas in 12th Grosjean a handful of places ahead in 9th. Little did I know that him being in front would lead to a brutal Sunday.

Race day and a solid start where I took 10th place in behind my teammate. However some dodgy driving from Romain resulted in minor damage to my front wing. The car still went where I asked so I kept going round keeping with the pace. That was until a couple laps later when, who cuts across me yet again but friendly Grosjean. Now with too much damage to sustain decent laps I had to pit and turn my aggressive 3 stop into a two and replace a front wing. This wouldn't have been the worst had I not been lapped by the two front runners followed by a safety car, where I was not allowed to unlap myself (bugged). The result of being queued up in the middle of the leaders and cars I'm racing created a mess of blue flags and multiple warnings after warnings. Finally sorting itself out I putted round the remaining 15 laps (100% Races) to grab 15th place and look forward to Russia and what should be a car a few pounds lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Finn; 09-18-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Two more races in....Canada and Baku.

Canada went fairly well. Qualified eighth and ended up finishing sixth. The main reason being that I was actually able to get my tires to freaking last, while some of the front runners got a bit punchy and were a bit hard on their front wings. Kimi Raikkonen ended up getting the victory. Is it just me, or is the Ice Man OP in this game? Maybe Ferrari in real life should quit using team orders to allow Vettel to get ahead.

Baku...I hated Baku in 2016. I always struggled to negotiate that uphill left-right combination going into the castle section. I was guaranteed to hit something. Plus, this track isn't exactly McLaren friendly. I don't know what it is about 2017, but I actually liked driving this track last night. I don't know if they redesigned the course, or if its just these cars handle better, but I had zero issues negotiating this track like I did in F1 2016.

As for not being a friendly track for McLaren, that showed in qualifying. I did make it into Q2, but ended up qualifying 15th for the race. Was expecting to ride around and that be all. But the gods of autosport shined down on us at the start of the race.

Rain....sweet, glorious rain. Let's slap some inters on and go racing.

I don't know why, but I love running in the rain. Maybe it's because I played a ton of Dirt Track Racing on PC back in the day. For whatever reason, I love sliding around the track in the rain. I can get the most out of this McLaren chassis in the rain. The AI doesn't struggle as much in 2017 in the rain like they did in 2016, but they still struggle a bit.

At the start of the race, I just slowly start picking off guys left and right. No insane dive bombs. Just outbreaking into many of Baku's 90 degree turns, and I quickly find myself in sixth and battling with Verstappen. Now...maybe if I did this in real life, the FIA would probably park me. But this is a game, and I didn't hit Verstappen. I just put him into a position where he either needed to hit the wall or me.

I went for a move into the uphill left-right combination going into the castle section. I got through. Kevin Magnusson tried to follow me. He didn't make it through. Verstappen and Magnusson came to a dead halt and plugged up the entry into the corner. It was a parking lot.

Unfortunately, by lap nine, it was time to make the move to dry tires, so I slapped on a set of mediums that would take me to the end of the race. Because of my cheeky move, I had built up a big gap between me, sitting in fourth place after everybody made their pit stops for dry tires, and Verstappen in fifth place. But the dry track combined with an engine that's down on power even at 100% durability, let alone now that it's getting a bit worn, and Verstappen is taking seconds off my 30-second gap by the lap. With ten to go, Verstappen is up my gearbox, with Magnusson close behind.

With Baku's main straight, I was a sitting duck to Max and I just let him go, dropping me to fifth. With a VSC late in the race, I was able to save up some fuel so I would have some rich mix to try and defend from Magnusson down the straight. I owned the Haas in the castle section, but the straight line speed was another matter. Thankfully, in the closing laps, Magnusson started fading and I finished fifth place at Baku.

Still sitting in eighth place in the driver's championship, but we jumped Haas in the constructor's title race and are sitting in fifth place. Hey Alonso, how about some help?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

I need a good racer. Was thinking PC2 for variety, but I only have controller, so worries me. How bout F1, controller possible or no?

Xbox GT: Hunkerdown
Mixer: HUNKERDOWN
Twitch: Hunkerdownuga

Madden 18 - Falcons Offline CFM
NBA 2K18 - Hawks myleague
FIFA 18 - TBD
NHL 18 - maybe
Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #14
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkerdown
I need a good racer. Was thinking PC2 for variety, but I only have controller, so worries me. How bout F1, controller possible or no?

Xbox GT: Hunkerdown
Mixer: HUNKERDOWN
Twitch: Hunkerdownuga

Madden 18 - Falcons Offline CFM
NBA 2K18 - Hawks myleague
FIFA 18 - TBD
NHL 18 - maybe

Wheel is always the way to go with racers IMO. However, F1 does take a lot of care in making sure that controllers can get around the track as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2

This is the best F1 of the series so far for controller users.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

After three straight finishes in the points, it was on to Austria. It was a recipe for disaster. There was no way the gearbox was going to last one more race, so we had to take a grid penalty. The Red Bull Ring is a power circuit...and as such, it's not going to be pretty for us. And for the first time in several races, we don't make it out of Q1, qualifying 16th. The grid penalty drops us to 20th.

So it's a last-to-first challenge! Yeah, that didn't happen.

The track was rough on my tires, and as such, I ended up having to make a second pit stop. Ended up going a lap down, and finished in 14th place behind Lance Stroll. Lewis Hamilton ran away with the race as Mercedes cut into Ferrari's lead in the constructor's championship. Bottas leads Raikkonen in the driver's championship by a single point. I sit one point behind Perez for 7th place in the driver's race. By finishing out of the points, Haas was able to jump us for fifth place in the constructor's race, a single point ahead of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1_2017_photo_20170922_195713.jpg (112.9 KB, 88 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »