Home

TT Isle of Man: Ride On The Edge Review (PS4 Pro)

This is a discussion on TT Isle of Man: Ride On The Edge Review (PS4 Pro) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: TT Isle of Man: Ride On The Edge Review (PS4 Pro)

19:59.517, Bruce Anstey, Supersport, 6:01 p.m. (ET), March 26, 2018, first lap in Time Trial.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Broke 20. Finally!

That was with two falls and soft-shoeing it on the Mountain section, out of shaking hands, thumping chest and sweating palms more than anything. So rewarding!

It's weird: The maxim of staying relaxed works in this game -- to a certain point. I find that I don't want to grip the controller too tightly or clench my jaw too much. But I'm slow if I'm too relaxed. I need to stay dialed in and calm, but not chilled.

Maybe that's why I suck at this game and most racers when altered. Just too numb.

Sub-19, here I come. Might take awhile, but I will get there.

As for visual settings, I use motion blur normal, RGB desync on, dynamic view off, camera shake 100 percent.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
19:59.517, Bruce Anstey, Supersport, 6:01 p.m. (ET), March 26, 2018, first lap in Time Trial.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Broke 20. Finally!

That was with two falls and soft-shoeing it on the Mountain section, out of shaking hands, thumping chest and sweating palms more than anything. So rewarding!

It's weird: The maxim of staying relaxed works in this game -- to a certain point. I find that I don't want to grip the controller too tightly or clench my jaw too much. But I'm slow if I'm too relaxed. I need to stay dialed in and calm, but not chilled.

Maybe that's why I suck at this game and most racers when altered. Just too numb.

Sub-19, here I come. Might take awhile, but I will get there.

As for visual settings, I use motion blur normal, RGB desync on, dynamic view off, camera shake 100 percent.

Good job at the under 20 (I’ll be working my way to that soon). From another forum:

*Motion blur is off purely so I can see down the track better - the game looks "nicer" with it on.

*RGB "desychronisation" is the chromatic aberration effect, where the colour channels separate giving individual misaligned red, green and blue silhouettes on screen - a popular and elegantly simple "damage" feedback effect in games. It only occurs when you bin it.

*Dynamic view is just look-to-apex, as noted already. The three options that aren't "off" basically dictate how soon the movement occurs relative to your corner approach - I could barely notice a difference between those three settings because of how disorienting it is. I turned it off as well. (But it actually stayed on until I went to the main menu and started the track session again.)

I turned camera shake down to 30 and didn't re-visit it. To be honest, I haven't properly compared it back to back.

As a concept, I don't think it's particularly realistic because your eyes are pretty well suspended and your brain does a great job of smoothing things out as your head rattles about anyway. Excluding heavy impacts, and stuff actually physically blocking my view, I've never had difficulty seeing where I'm going on a motorbike in real life.

On that basis, adding movement to the screen that your brain can't filter out (because your inner ear isn't moving with it) is not a good idea in my opinion. A little bit of dynamism at the edge of the screen probably does add a bit of drama in the name of immersion, but that could be done by other means. I suspect you'd be faster with it off / low.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
All Star

Interesting feedback. Thanks. May try a few tweaks to gain speed, but I don't want to lose immersion. The sense of speed in this game is INSANE and perhaps the strongest of its many virtues.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
All Star

One of the many strong points of this incredible game is the difference between the bikes. Not only does each manufacturer's bike handle differently, but even the bikes of each manufacturer ride differently.

I tried every Supersport bike on the Mountain course last night, and there's no question the Honda suits me best. The Triumph is fast with plenty of grunt but changes direction too slowly. The Yamaha is just far too twitchy and lacks top end. The Kawasaki is just a pig, period.

But each of the Honda's is different. Bruce Anstey's Honda suits me well, but then I tried the late Daniel Hegarty's Honda last night, and it fit my riding style like the proverbial old set of slippers. Bliss, and a nice tribute to the fallen rider to use his bike.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
One of the many strong points of this incredible game is the difference between the bikes. Not only does each manufacturer's bike handle differently, but even the bikes of each manufacturer ride differently.

I tried every Supersport bike on the Mountain course last night, and there's no question the Honda suits me best. The Triumph is fast with plenty of grunt but changes direction too slowly. The Yamaha is just far too twitchy and lacks top end. The Kawasaki is just a pig, period.

But each of the Honda's is different. Bruce Anstey's Honda suits me well, but then I tried the late Daniel Hegarty's Honda last night, and it fit my riding style like the proverbial old set of slippers. Bliss, and a nice tribute to the fallen rider to use his bike.

For me it’s the older John McGuiness Honda you unlock if you purchase the 2.99 King of the Mountain DLC. Not the fastest, but the handling and agility in and out of corners fits my current abilities.

My time on the mountain course is creeping closer to 20 mins...if I have the time to play it consistently I should crack 20 mins or under very soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #22
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
For me it’s the older John McGuiness Honda you unlock if you purchase the 2.99 King of the Mountain DLC. Not the fastest, but the handling and agility in and out of corners fits my current abilities.

My time on the mountain course is creeping closer to 20 mins...if I have the time to play it consistently I should crack 20 mins or under very soon.
Ah, you're riding a 1000cc Superbike. Brave man!

I set my personal best of 19:59 on a slower, 600cc Supersport. I'm not ready yet for the beastly nature of a Superbike.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Ah, you're riding a 1000cc Superbike. Brave man!

I set my personal best of 19:59 on a slower, 600cc Supersport. I'm not ready yet for the beastly nature of a Superbike.

He has a Supersport as well...at the moment I can stay upright on Superbike, but going super slow and light on the throttle even on straights, because of how unexpected a corner can come.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #24
All Star

My two requests for an upcoming patch for this game:

1. Add steering sensitivity and other controller settings adjustments to the console version of this game. They're available in the PC version released this week.

2. Tweak the physics a bit. The rear loses traction too suddenly at times and slides out when cresting hills and through dips, pitching the rider sideways diagonally off the bike. There is no warning and no catching. I also think the front end of certain bikes is a bit too "loose" when correcting while exiting a corner. What should be a simple correction instead pitches you sideways in the other direction. A bit too much of a "weighted pendulum" effect.

Minor quibbles, though. Still loving this game!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »