Home

NASCAR Heat 4 Arrives in September - Features, Screenshots & Teaser Trailer Revealed

This is a discussion on NASCAR Heat 4 Arrives in September - Features, Screenshots & Teaser Trailer Revealed within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #17
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: NASCAR Heat 4 Arrives in September - Features, Screenshots & Teaser Trailer Revea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
This game needs:

#1 - DNF's and realistic damage. If DNF's are not in this game then it's a pass
#2 - Need to know more about "enhanced" career mode. I could have lived with the very shallow career mode last year since it was I think the first real career mode since the series reboot, but I need some big improvements this time around.

If those two are in then I'll buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
If this game doesn't have #1 on your list in the game, I'll pass.
NH3 does have DNFs ... sort of. When looking at the final results (or trying to since it scrolls them automatically), there are almost always a few cars 20+ laps down who didn't finish the race after blowing up and spending the rest of the race in the pits. Unless you mean user DNFs or crash-related DNFs like back in the EA days when you could wreck cars out of the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I want to like this... but I cant. After playing F1 2019 the last few weeks, and being reminded of NH3, I just... I need to see a ton more before I give these guys another dollar.

Graphics upgrade? Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it. NH3 looks like a last gen title still.

Sounds... that's great news.

Control options? Such as.... what? I'm really hoping they mean traction control, stability control, ABS etc. etc. You know, things in basically every other racing game.

Track map. It's about time. Again, something from every racing game.

I'm intrigued by the enhanced career mode and the AI upgrades though. I always thought the AI was pretty good/fun in this series, so hearing multiple lines etc. That's good news.

As for Career mode, I really like the foundation they built last year in NH3. Dirt, Trucks, Xfinity, Cup. Hiring team members etc. etc. It's something they're doing a good job on, so I'm looking forward to hearing more there.

Either way though, I'm in wait and see mode still. The only thing that saved NH3 for me last year was the career mode.

Oh, and for the love of God... please dont release the 2020 season upgrade around daytona next year and have it basically as a 2nd game again. Just give me two rosters of cars to choose from. The separate front end (basically) setup they've been using is a nightmare IMO.
Really, because I thought it had a lot of issues such as
1. Entering the racing line too soon after exiting the pits i.e. in turn 1 instead of backstretch
2. Off-the-pace cars continue to run in the racing line instead of going to the apron
3. At-speed cars will slow down and ride behind off-the-pace cars instead of passing them.
4. AI cars seem to have limited awareness of the user-controlled car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
No NASCAR-sanctioned race car or truck has traction control, ABS or stability control, so why should it be allowed in a game that's supposed to be a sim?

You can't use DRS with vintage cars in the F1 series by Codemasters for a good and similar reason -- DRS never was available on those cars.
Because not everyone who plays the game is a racing expert and has the skillset and physical ability to be able to drive a race car. I'm visually impaired and can't even drive a regular street car and know nothing about setting up a car. And it's not meant to be a pure simulation. All racing games should have the option to toggle assists to a level where the user feels comfortable as it would allow more people to be able to play the game. That's what was so great about NASCAR The Game 15/NTG 15 Victory edition, having so many settings you could adjust to get it to a comfortable level. With the all-or-nothing stability control as the only option, you're basically forced to run no stability control if you want good competitive racing as when it's turned on your car is basically on a rail and you don't even need to brake at most ovals plus it slows your car down and drastically increases the rate of tire wear. On the flip side, I cannot race road courses with stability control off because I am constantly spinning out and blowing out my rear tires. Even on the ovals, I have a very hard time maintaining a straight line in traffic and get loose with even small amounts of contact from the AI cars plus I am nearly always practically spinning out when trying to pit.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #18
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NASCAR Heat 4 Arrives in September - Features, Screenshots & Teaser Trailer Revea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
Really, because I thought it had a lot of issues such as
1. Entering the racing line too soon after exiting the pits i.e. in turn 1 instead of backstretch
2. Off-the-pace cars continue to run in the racing line instead of going to the apron
3. At-speed cars will slow down and ride behind off-the-pace cars instead of passing them.
4. AI cars seem to have limited awareness of the user-controlled car.

1. Yes. I noticed that as well. I guess I dont remember it much because I often didn't run races long enough to go through pit stops. Hard to look at this game for that long.

2. I supposed you're right there too, alot of the backmarkers though I typically found were just so much slower that I just drove around them with ease no matter where they were.

3. Can't say I know/noticed this.

4. I always thought it was programmed that way for them to be "Aggressive". If I left an opening for them, they just drove right through the hole I left. I dont perceive that as lack of awareness, but aggressive AI designed to take advantage of my mistakes. If I make a reckless move, I dont want them to brake and let me do whatever I want. That's why I commented about liking the AI really. In the shorter races I ran, I was in traffic alot, not necessarilly backmarkers and pitting cars. I liked the side by side and pack racing from the AI.

However, that last point also prompts the need for another thing this game needs. Flashbacks. Especially on those plate tracks. Again, I know, Jimmie Johnson can't hit flashback on his wheel on Sundays... I dont really care. This is a video game. When using a controller, crap happens that you dont mean to have happen. It's the downside to a controller and not a wheel. It's the downside to having one human racing 39 computer AI controlled cars. Things happen that probably shouldnt caused by the player, or the AI guys who aren't ever going to be perfect drivers either, because... it's a video game lol.

Assists are that for a reason, there for some who want to use them, and easily ignored by those who don't. Right now the problem is as you stated, you've either got a handling mode for 10 years olds, or one for seasoned pro's with wheels and pedals. I've never had issues on the ovals in NH3, but as you said, the road courses, complete disaster in the sim handling mode, but a bore in the easy mode. So bottom line, open it up, spend some time programming and give players options. I doubt it will matter though, the cars just feel so.. unnatural.

Last edited by brandon27; 07-08-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #19
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:

4. I always thought it was programmed that way for them to be "Aggressive". If I left an opening for them, they just drove right through the hole I left. I dont perceive that as lack of awareness, but aggressive AI designed to take advantage of my mistakes. If I make a reckless move, I dont want them to brake and let me do whatever I want. That's why I commented about liking the AI really. In the shorter races I ran, I was in traffic alot, not necessarilly backmarkers and pitting cars. I liked the side by side and pack racing from the AI.

However, that last point also prompts the need for another thing this game needs. Flashbacks. Especially on those plate tracks. Again, I know, Jimmie Johnson can't hit flashback on his wheel on Sundays... I dont really care. This is a video game. When using a controller, crap happens that you dont mean to have happen. It's the downside to a controller and not a wheel. It's the downside to having one human racing 39 computer AI controlled cars. Things happen that probably shouldnt caused by the player, or the AI guys who aren't ever going to be perfect drivers either, because... it's a video game lol.
Maybe it has more to do with the rivalry stuff since I'm not very good a racing clean and pretty much everyone in Cup hates me to the point that they're constantly running me into the wall or onto the apron when I try to pass or side-swiping or rear-ending me when I'm coming up to speed after exiting the pits or if I mess up and get slowed down. That rivalry thing is one of my biggest gear-grinders too as the AI drivers basically expect you to be a racing expert and run a flawless race then get mad at you for literally every tiny bit of contact even if they were the one to initiate the contact. The MENCS drivers are basically schoolyard bullies. And I predicted it would be that way the moment the feature was announced.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 07-09-2019, 12:42 AM   #20
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
NH3 does have DNFs ... sort of. When looking at the final results (or trying to since it scrolls them automatically), there are almost always a few cars 20+ laps down who didn't finish the race after blowing up and spending the rest of the race in the pits. Unless you mean user DNFs or crash-related DNFs like back in the EA days when you could wreck cars out of the race.
Yeah that's basically what I'm talking about. I don't mean to simply have cars DNF, but rather the realism/sim aspect of what causes DNFs. Mechanical failures, wrecks, etc. If there is a big wreck at Daytona then I don't want to see all the cars fixed after a 20 second pit stop.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Because not everyone who plays the game is a racing expert and has the skillset and physical ability to be able to drive a race car. I'm visually impaired and can't even drive a regular street car and know nothing about setting up a car. And it's not meant to be a pure simulation. All racing games should have the option to toggle assists to a level where the user feels comfortable as it would allow more people to be able to play the game. That's what was so great about NASCAR The Game 15/NTG 15 Victory edition, having so many settings you could adjust to get it to a comfortable level. With the all-or-nothing stability control as the only option, you're basically forced to run no stability control if you want good competitive racing as when it's turned on your car is basically on a rail and you don't even need to brake at most ovals plus it slows your car down and drastically increases the rate of tire wear. On the flip side, I cannot race road courses with stability control off because I am constantly spinning out and blowing out my rear tires. Even on the ovals, I have a very hard time maintaining a straight line in traffic and get loose with even small amounts of contact from the AI cars plus I am nearly always practically spinning out when trying to pit.
I totally agree, these are games after all and everyone should be able to enjoy them based on their skill level. Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0 are probably the two exceptions because even with all the assists turned on the game is still brutal just to finish a stage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #22
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

I got a strong feeling NASCAR Heat 4 isn't going to have a 4K option for the XBox One X. I haven't seen it mentioned in any of their preliminary press releases, and I asked the question about it to them directly on their official Twitter page and got nada on it. They do mention "Enhanced Graphics & Sounds" in their feature bullets, but I have a feeling that if they were going 4K with the X, they'd make mention of it in a feature list.

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 07-09-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #23
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I got a strong feeling NASCAR Heat 4 isn't going to have a 4K option for the XBox One X. I haven't seen it mentioned in any of their preliminary press releases, and I asked the question about it to them directly on their official Twitter page and got nada on it. They do mention "Enhanced Graphis & Sounds" in their feature bullets, but I have a feeling that if they were going 4K with the X, they'd make mention of it in a feature list.

I highly doubt it. If it was, like you said they'd be promoting it. Especially because if they visually could make that big of a leap, it'd be worth hyping up, not just a bullet point of enhanced graphics. They "enhanced" them last year too and look what we got. It looks fine, but it's not anywhere near where it should be.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #24
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Oh, and for the love of God... please dont release the 2020 season upgrade around daytona next year and have it basically as a 2nd game again. Just give me two rosters of cars to choose from. The separate front end (basically) setup they've been using is a nightmare IMO.
Oddly enough, the way they do this with the 2020 season update makes me wonder why bother releasing a game every year in the first place. There will always be debates on whether sports games should be yearly or every other, two years, etc. This game definitely helps the cause of those who like to have their sports games be every other year, give us the updated drivers and schedule in a patch before the new season while working on making the next new game even better.

The September release to me is odd, Madden doesn't release in December, MLB The Show doesn't release right at the end of the MLB season. Can we please just have this come out December or January with the newest drivers and schedule ready to go at launch?

Last edited by UFCMPunk; 07-10-2019 at 12:29 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »