Home

Tony Stewart's Sprint Car Racing Review: Budget Dirt Racing That Gets More Right Than Wrong

This is a discussion on Tony Stewart's Sprint Car Racing Review: Budget Dirt Racing That Gets More Right Than Wrong within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #17
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Tony Stewart's Sprint Car Racing Review: Budget Dirt Racing That Gets More Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikolec
Review is spot on and well written. Thanks for writing it. I’m hoping the more exposure this game gets and the better it does, the higher chance we will get a sequel with improvements.

The game is a blast to play. Improvements can definitely be made; car models, damage, real tracks, etc.

Damage is a big one, I’d love a more realistic damage model. Make me suffer for a mistake just like real sprint car racing.

Hopefully this game gains enough traction to warrant a sequel and they are able to license some real tracks and additional drivers. It’s interesting that the game is All Star Sprints with Tony Stewart, yet the opening sequence shows the World of Outlaws logo almost immediately (before All Star Sprints logo). Also surprised Eldora wasn’t licensed with Tony owning that track. Maybe some of that will come with DLC.
Thanks for the kind words and agree with literally everything you said. Especially found it odd that Eldora wasn't in the game as you stated.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #18
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Tony Stewart's Sprint Car Racing Review: Budget Dirt Racing That Gets More Right

Absolutely hate the handling of the cars. They handle nothing like these do in real life, but I guess that's to be expected. Once you figure out what they expect you to do, it's easy to forget about how off it feels and just drive around.

The good part is, they're predictable and the game is really fun to race. I wouldn't put it anywhere near Ratbag's stuff, though, personally.

I do like that the setup adjustments work, too. Even using a controller (I've played it on the Xbox with both the controller and a Fanatec Podium DD2), I could build a setup that basically drove itself. Turn in, hook the right rear, and the car was beautifully neutral. As long as that works, it really doesn't matter whether they "feel" like a midget or sprinter.

It's a fun time.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikolec
Also surprised Eldora wasn’t licensed with Tony owning that track. Maybe some of that will come with DLC.
704 probably has that track license locked up in NASCAR Heat 4, which features the Dirt Derby at Eldora for the Trucks and also for late model racing.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
It's a fun time.
Yep, and that's the appeal of this game. It's not realistic in any way, shape or form. No track degradation. Terrible damage model. No tire wear model. Sprints and midgets that handle like trucks.

Yet still it's enjoyable as hell. This is basically Forza Horizon, Ridge Racer or Project Gotham on dirt. Not realistic, but the lurid, predictable slides and tight racing create a ton of fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »