Home

Assetto Corsa Competizione Review: Console Owners Now Know What They've Been Missing

This is a discussion on Assetto Corsa Competizione Review: Console Owners Now Know What They've Been Missing within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
I have a Thrustmaster TX with pedals on Xbox One* and it works with the game no problem - you just need to set it up properly!!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #10
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Assetto Corsa Competizione Review: Console Owners Now Know What They've Been Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
I have a Thrustmaster TX with pedals on Xbox One* and it works with the game no problem - you just need to set it up properly!!
Does it see the TX and identify it as such in the menu? I'm going off of what I'm reading from the nine user reviews, five of which were wheel owners of various makes, that had been posted on XBox Live, but the common cry is the game doesn't recognize their wheel. Maybe it just has one common wheel setup, which for many would be out of the norm, and you have to go in and tweak and tailor it to get what you want.

Are you able to get the kind of performance you expect out of your TX with the game? Also, I'm reading reports of significant frame rate drops on some spots at some tracks. Have you run into any of that yet?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:50 AM   #11
Rookie

Re: Assetto Corsa Competizione Review: Console Owners Now Know What They've Been Miss

Unlike most driving games ACC does not distinguish what wheel you have in the menu as the settings are common/generic - just like the original AC was on console. The wheel problem arises as when you start the game the steer lock setting is at zero!! Once you change this to 540 the wheel works fine!! (Had to use the controller to do this btw!!)

The physics in the game are very good but the graphics are not as good as the likes of of GTS or PC2 etc but it does seem to be a steady 30fps with only the occasional bit of screen tearing - haven't noticed many frame drops yet but I am on Xbox One X.

The FFB on ACC is quite poor compared to most driving games - could just be me needing to find good settings but the lack of a FOV adjustment setting is bizarre!!

My main complaint is there seems to be some level of input lag on the pedals as I find braking quite problematic. Also noticed there is very little concept of speed playing in cockpit view - was struggling to tell if i was travelling 100kmh or 200kmh at times which did not help with my braking!!

Last edited by saintjimbo1885; 06-24-2020 at 04:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
Unlike most driving games ACC does not distinguish what wheel you have in the menu as the settings are common/generic - just like the original AC was on console. The wheel problem arises as when you start the game the steer lock setting is at zero!! Once you change this to 540 the wheel works fine!! (Had to use the controller to do this btw!!)
Starting lock is set at zero!? No wonder so many people are complaining about it on the Microsoft Store review page. I could handle this, but I can see where it would put a lot off a lot of folks. It would be more of a chore to find feed back settings starting out with a raw setting, but if they have the right tweaks one could get there eventually.

Quote:
The physics in the game are very good but the graphics are not as good as the likes of of GTS or PC2 etc but it does seem to be a steady 30fps with only the occasional bit of screen tearing - haven't noticed many frame drops yet but I am on Xbox One X.
I'm pretty satisfied with PC2 and I also have GTS for my PS4 that my TX works well with via the "DriveHub" adapter. I probably just don't need ACC. Even a steady 30 FPS just doesn't have the responsive feel that I've been spoiled by in other racing games. I can't believe they don't have an option for 1080p at 60 FPS with the XBox One X!

The FFB on ACC is quite poor compared to most driving games - could just be me needing to find good settings but the lack of a FOV adjustment setting is bizarre!!

Quote:
My main complaint is there seems to be some level of input lag on the pedals as I find braking quite problematic. Also noticed there is very little concept of speed playing in cockpit view - was struggling to tell if i was travelling 100kmh or 200kmh at times which did not help with my braking!!
I can see where all of that would be a problem, especially at 30 FPS. Braking lag would be a hitch in your performance in a GT race!
Old 06-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
Rookie

Having played ACC a bit more today I am finally getting to grips with the physics and the braking points - still feels like there is some input lag going on but after doing 5/6 laps of a track you eventually get into a groove as to where they are in the game!! (Still feels like i am having to break too early though!!)

Got to agree about the fact that each car feels quite unique when driving - Porsche is my favourite so far but you need to try them all to see what suits your driving style.

So far I have been pretty impressed by the AI in the game as well!!

Will have a proper play about at the weekend and try some FFB settings but definitely glad I purchased ACC, especially with the early offer of getting the additional 3 tracks that will be paid for DLC content soon.

Oh and don't hit any sausages, as the effect of doing so, seems way overpowered!!

Btw i am assuming that due to it's release date, it will eventually find it's way onto next gen, so there is probably hope for a frame rate boost when this happens!!
Old 06-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #14
Rookie

I don’t suppose anyone has any specific controller settings? It’s awfully hard not to be jerky with a controller. Lol Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2020, 06:23 AM   #15
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Driving / Racing games are my favorite. I own a lot of them. I must admit at first I did not like this game at all. I played it for about 30 minutes and wrote it off as a waste of $40.00. I kept seeing all these great impressions / comments about the game online so I decided to fire it up again.

I chose one car went into single player and did practice mode , just me and the tracks. I ran 20 laps on several tracks (no racing line). I did the first 5 laps at a non racing speed , just getting the feel of the car down. This made a big difference. Before i was over shooting turns , spinning out coming out of the turns just having a horrible time. But once I realized I need to drive as if I was driving in real life and not in a video game things really improved.

I've started my career and so far I'm loving this game. Yes I wish the graphic's were better , but the driving is so good I can live with them.
My only complaint is when in the cockpit view the steering wheel looks very jerky on screen , I wish there was an adjustment to slow it down and smooth the look of it out. (using a controller). Also I wish there was a way to turn the Rating Practice Info info at the top of the screen off. I don't need this info and don't want it on my screen. When ever possible I race with as little as possible on my screen , usually nothing.

I hope they release more content over time for this game. Car and track count is low at the moment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #16
Rookie

ILuvMN81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Driving / Racing games are my favorite. I own a lot of them. I must admit at first I did not like this game at all. I played it for about 30 minutes and wrote it off as a waste of $40.00. I kept seeing all these great impressions / comments about the game online so I decided to fire it up again.

I chose one car went into single player and did practice mode , just me and the tracks. I ran 20 laps on several tracks (no racing line). I did the first 5 laps at a non racing speed , just getting the feel of the car down. This made a big difference. Before i was over shooting turns , spinning out coming out of the turns just having a horrible time. But once I realized I need to drive as if I was driving in real life and not in a video game things really improved.

I've started my career and so far I'm loving this game. Yes I wish the graphic's were better , but the driving is so good I can live with them.
My only complaint is when in the cockpit view the steering wheel looks very jerky on screen , I wish there was an adjustment to slow it down and smooth the look of it out. (using a controller). Also I wish there was a way to turn the Rating Practice Info info at the top of the screen off. I don't need this info and don't want it on my screen. When ever possible I race with as little as possible on my screen , usually nothing.

I hope they release more content over time for this game. Car and track count is low at the moment.
Glad to see you picked this up too!

I'll admit the 30 FPS and some off the animations are a bit off putting and can indeed cause distractions. It's weird though because the driving is SO good; I played F1 2019 for maybe one of the last times and while everything is so smooth graphically, it seemed like a cakewalk driving compared to ACC.

There are options for HUD and the track rating thing. I thought I've turned them off.

One thing I'm getting is a good percentage of the AI getting DSQ because they're not pitting in Sprint Races. Other than that, they're decent enough so far. I've yet to find a sweet spot for aggression but I think I've found a skill rating to assign them for now.

There will be more content for the game in the pipeline. The SRO GT4 Europe series should release in the fall/autumn (releasing soon for Steam) and the British GT Championship will release late this year (fall on Steam).

I don't know if this title will see a next gen remaster or not, I'd guess not for a bit. Maybe late 2021 or early 2022 but I don't expect to see it on X One X or PS5 that quickly.

Last edited by ILuvMN81; 06-26-2020 at 05:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »