Home

F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages

This is a discussion on F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages

Had not played an F1 game for a decade plus...

Really enjoying this so far.

The PS5 controller is FANTASTIC with the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #26
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

I've heard the AI is improved this year in terms of making mistakes and being aggressive, but has anyone seen AI vs. AI crashes and crash DNFs? Also, how is the AI pit strategy? I remember in past years they would often taking an extra pit stop that didn't make sense.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #27
All Star

OVR: 8

Great review @Brandon27.

I liked the concept behind the new R&D structure when they announced it, but it did seem like it wasn't much more than a UI change. Other than that I had a hard time finding information on what exactly was improved about the single player career/my team, and you hit on all the points that I was concerned about.

I have no interest in these scripted story modes that sports games keep putting out lately, and so the my team was all I really cared about. I already have F1 2019 & F1 2020. I'm sure F1 2021 plays great just like those other two, but it doesn't seem like enough of an advancement to buy this year. Thanks for saving me $60!
Old 07-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #28
Rookie

squaremarker's Arena

OVR: 4

I've been playing the game for about 5 days now, I'll drop my thoughts.

Currently using a G29 Racing Wheel with Load-Cell pedals on PS5.

Gameplay

If you've played F1 2020, the game will feel similar, but better. The cars feel more "on the limit," especially through sustained cornering. At the same time, if you feel the car starting to over-steer, it seems easier to catch the car. Handling at lower speeds is significantly improved (avoidance of other drivers during in-laps and out-laps is much easier).

Some of the kerbs really allow you to attack them now, looking at your turn 8 of Monza at the Ascari chicane. In the same light, some of the more punishing kerbs are now better represented. Turn 3 at Bahrain comes to mind, given that this kerb is sort of a double cut kerb, it really throws the car if you hit it wrong.

Dirty air is a little more pronounced now. It was rare in 2020 that I would be thrown aside on straights from dirty air. In 2021, it's certainly manageable, but there is a lot more fight with the car. Outside of your practice sessions, fuel management is now a thing of the past and to me, it's a welcomed addition (subtraction). I can now focus on differential and brake bias changes throughout a lap, knowing that I never have to mess with my fuel mode. ERS seems to recover a bit faster than it has in the past and its management is of it is definitely more critical now that fuel modes have been eliminated.

The tyres also got some love this year. When coming into the pits or at lower speeds, you will notice blistering and other forms of tyre degradation. Also, the damage model has been improved as it concerns the chassis and tyres. Punctures realistically happen, damage can be done to the rear wing, sides, and under carriage of the car now. Also, if turned on, mechanical faults can occur for the user. The faults can be terminal or (more often) slight performance issues.

Career Mode / AI Drivers

As someone who enjoys career mode, I'm happy with a number of improvements that have been made. The research and development of your car has been drastic simplified. I don't know if I actually enjoy this or not yet. It seems that each improvement leads to the next, rather than making decisions about what to improve. The practice sessions can be simulated with some benefit in the form of a simple mini-game if you don't want to participate in them. The actual programs to run have been made more realistic and less cumbersome.

AI Drivers are improved a bit. You will see them make mistakes much like they did in 2020 (losing the rear out of low-speed corners, missing apexes, etc). They seem a little more aware of their positioning as it comes to defending and I am not getting "pitted" as much mid-corner, provided I am actually ahead through the corner and not just dive-bombing. In simulations ran, at equal performance, you'll routinely see Hamilton, Verstappen, Russell, and Norris towards the time of the time sheets, consistent with their real life skill (in my opinion).

Multiplayer

This is one area of the game I think benefited from the EA takeover. There are now options for beginner (1-shot, 5 lap races, no damage), experienced (1-shot, 25%), as well as open lobbies, ranked 5 lap / 25% races. It's a nice touch to be able to select one of the social racing options and to have a lobby found for me. And, good news, ranked lobbies work again. I don't know if it was just my game or what, but last year, after about 10 ranked races, I could not find a single driver to race against.

The 2-player career mode works exactly like it was advertised. It's the same single player career mode, with interviews, acclaim, and car development, but with a buddy. Great added feature. Hope to see a full 20 driver career mode in the future.

Graphics

I am currently maxed out at 4k, 60fps, 60hz as I don't have a gaming monitor. The track looks improved. Maybe I didn't notice it in 2020, but the marbles and tyre tracks look much better and identifiable this year. If you roll over the grass, gravel, or marbles, you'll notice them on your tyres. The game is silky smooth on my PS5, although I'd really like to compare it to 120fps.

The Menu / UI system is slightly different, especially when modifying your career mode or open lobby. I don't like the new layout of things as you have to access several more menu options to modify certain things about the game. In addition, joining an online lobby and checking the assist restrictions, track list, and rules, all require you to be in different menu options. It was as if they made it complex for the sake of complexity. Kind of a head-scratcher there.

The cars all look great and true to form. I drive in ****-pit mode. The steering wheels are close to their real-life counterparts but not perfect.

Sound

They definitely put some more work into capturing the difference in each of the 4 engines. Regardless of which engine you are driving, you will hear the turbo wind up just like you do on tv. Really happy with what Codemasters did here.

In the end, F1 2021 is definitely an improvement over 2020. Fans of the sport and fans of the game will certainly notice the difference within the first sector of their first lap as it concerns the vehicle's improved and more realistic handling model. The lack of tracks, missing classic cars, and mostly untouched myTeam mode are the worst part of the game, with the lack of tracks being my personal gripe.

I have no use for modes like Braking Point, so I didn't bother jumping into it. From what I heard, it's a pretty linear although engaging experience, just not my cup of tea.

More than happy to answer any questions I can about the game.

Currently Playing: NBA 2k21 / F1 2020 / Apex / Warzone
Old 07-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

Do you guys have any information on the dlc release date? I don’t wanna start a my team without all the tracks in a season.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:08 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Had not played an F1 game for a decade plus...

Really enjoying this so far.

The PS5 controller is FANTASTIC with the game.
I love the game but I am beyond awful I have literally tried every assist at all different levels its just a mess
Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #31
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

I’ve bought this series in the past but never really played it much. I got 21 on PS5. This weekend I started a career and started in F2 with whatever the default settings are. I decided to start in F2 to get a feel for the game. I breezed through winning most races by about 30 seconds. I did have DNF two races. I chose to let it go rather than restart those races. But obviously default settings are too easy.

Now I’m in F1 and the real fun begins!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #32
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
I’ve bought this series in the past but never really played it much. I got 21 on PS5. This weekend I started a career and started in F2 with whatever the default settings are. I decided to start in F2 to get a feel for the game. I breezed through winning most races by about 30 seconds. I did have DNF two races. I chose to let it go rather than restart those races. But obviously default settings are too easy.

Now I’m in F1 and the real fun begins!

Put the game into "expert" settings. Then I suggest going through ALL the options in the career mode settings to customize it to you. Turn up the AI, if you're winning by 30 seconds you've got it too low. Also More options are available in Expert than Casual. I think the default is on Casual. Then start dropping off the assists if you have them on. Then the real fun begins! This series has always been one of the best driving experiences out there IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »