Home

Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #65
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: realism

I honestly don't care what book a guy uses. I think this game has SO many plays in every book that I can't really tell much of a significant difference between them. I know things like Philly's book will have a good shotgun tight formation, and pass balanced has the strong I tight. Other than a few things like that, there's really nothing that sticks out to me.

These playbooks are so huge. When I want to get away from tendencies I just call different plays... there's like 350 of them. Given that we do have a real franchise that changes personnel year to year and game to game I think it's fair that people change their playbooks. I actually think it's a disadvantage to the person mixing up playbooks constantly. Because I know the PIT playbook so well, I can run anything confidently. There's more than enough material in my book to keep the defense off balanced.

The blitzing thing I disagree with also. If you can score by running every play or passing every play: do it. There's rules in place in football that naturally penalize repetitiveness and your playcall choices. Run plays are generally less explosive and less risky. Pass plays can be more explosive and more risky. If you're repetitive you risk your opponent directly countering whatever you do. As an offense, the last thing you want is the D knowing your exact playcall and for them to call the direct counter to it. Does he know you're calling a screen pass on 2nd and long? It's going to get killed! Ever since we got rid of the manual player movement, blitzes really did get nerfed. Right now there's a solid balance between pressure and simulation given the weak OL logic.

In terrms of running up the score: It should be allowed, and it's a personal thing. This is a franchise. Teams stay the same. What goes around comes around. Word spreads like wildfire in this league and just like the real league that can affect offseason decisions and communication with maybe someone you don't like. Obviously I advocate not running up the score against a person, but it's sometimes a subjective area. For example, if I'm up 21 in the 3rd quarter... is it okay that I try to score again? How about in the 4th quarter against an explosive offense? I'm about as conservative as it gets on offense, so the second I know I can simply play "Marty-ball" and run power formations for the rest of the game I'll do that. Still, there may be times when I need to keep the pressure up despite a substantial lead. I don't want that taken the wrong way.

Next year, I think that playbook switching will be a thing of the past. It'll take too much work to put together your deep gameplan and people won't want to go through that on a regular basis. I think next year we're going to get a more robust variety of playcalls because of this feature. I bet my playcalling will dramatically improve and take away natural tendencies that I have (and can even identify personally).

Summary: playbook changing doesn't change the game that much. Each playbook has the basic concepts and are fairly similar overall. Blitzing is legit and not that overpowered after the rule change. Running up the score is a d!ck move, but it's a franchise and what goes around comes around.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyiii2k
I really can't speak much on the on the Playbook switching being that I've done it myself mostly because I thought my playbook was too predictable but had realized that I was the problem and decided to stay with the default one and try to master it. I came to the conclusion (speaking for myself) that I would constantly use the same 3 or 4 plays because I didn't take the time to work with my playbook and gain the confidence to try other plays mostly on offense on defense that's another story. As far as blitzing goes you can't put a huge blanket over it and say no blitzing on every down first of all there are different kinds of blitzes from all out blitzing to run blitzing, zone blitzing etc. So to limit is not realistic no more than having 6 defensive backs every play it depends on what the situation calls for. Now can we all get along oh and Andro Andre Johnson will be mine in M11 hehe
Good points sparky. You're exactly right about learning your playbook. I've used 1 playbook heavily this year and it pays off more than hurts.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #67
Pro

OVR: 9

Yea I need to really focus on my team strengths and use my playbook in that regard and take chances
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #68
Pro

Oh and Creatine be prepared to see a lot of Marty ball at seasons end lol
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #69
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyiii2k
I really can't speak much on the on the Playbook switching being that I've done it myself mostly because I thought my playbook was too predictable but had realized that I was the problem and decided to stay with the default one and try to master it. I came to the conclusion (speaking for myself) that I would constantly use the same 3 or 4 plays because I didn't take the time to work with my playbook and gain the confidence to try other plays mostly on offense on defense that's another story. As far as blitzing goes you can't put a huge blanket over it and say no blitzing on every down first of all there are different kinds of blitzes from all out blitzing to run blitzing, zone blitzing etc. So to limit is not realistic no more than having 6 defensive backs every play it depends on what the situation calls for. Now can we all get along oh and Andro Andre Johnson will be mine in M11 hehe

You're joining another league?:splat ::y13 :
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #70
Pro

Lol evil
Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #71
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
B/c you didn't know what the debate was about? No one said weeman played w/ the default Lions. But they said he played w/ the default Lions PB.
Woah, everyone just simmer down. I just wanted to correct a statement by Andro that Weeman beat everyone with the "default Lions." I see now that he meant "Lions'", so carry on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Playbooks definitely contribute to the realism (or lack of) in the league.

Back in season 1, when pretty much everybody was still using their team's default playbooks, I genuinely looked forward to each week's game because I knew my opponent would be using a totally different style of play from the previous week's.

That feeling died about half-way through season 2 when a bunch of the original owners dropped out and more people started switching over to the popular "tourney" playbooks.

It it is no coincidence that at the conclusion of season 2, Trojan also had to institute gameplay rules limiting or negating popular "tourney" tactics.

It is because many of the popular "tourney" tactics are tied to specific plays and formations that only occur within 1 or 2 playbooks.

Had I really wanted to, I could easily have been like other teams in this league and come out in the Jets 1-5-5 defense every down and run blitzes that confuse and exploit the o-line AI in ways that lead to easy QB pressure.

Or I could sit back in the 3-3-5 all game and watch as my defense magically plugs up all of the running lanes with only 6 defenders in the box.

Instead, I have proved by example that you don't need to abuse these tactics to win at Madden, and that the default team playbooks offer more than enough solutions to counter any type of offense or defense in the game.

When people complain about their team playbook somehow being "too limited," all that really says to me is "this playbook doesn't have the 3 to 4 money plays that I know I can run all game and still be successful with."

I ran with the Lions playbooks exclusively for three seasons and was still finding lots of new plays to run before I got sick and had to quit gaming altogether.

But if I am able to play Madden 11 come August, I sincerely hope that ACQB is run with one of the following rules in place:

1) Default team playbooks only. (simple solution, easy to manage).

2) Playbooks become a part of a team's "roster," such that no playbook can be used by more than one team, and a trade must be made between teams to "swap" playbooks directly. (tougher to mange, but allows for more flexibility)

Without some kind of rule in place to promote variety in style of play, the Madden 11 league will eventually just turn into what the Madden 10 league is now, where the same 2-3 playbooks are used by every team and each game just feels playing another "palette swap," to use an old fighting game term.

Really, the playbook problem we had in ACQB is no different than what happens in fighting games like Street Fighter or UFC where everybody just plays with 1 or 2 of the "top tier" characters and ignores the other 20+ fighters because they might actually have to think a little to win with them.

Last edited by jyoung; 07-17-2010 at 11:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »