Home

ACQB Rules Discussion

This is a discussion on ACQB Rules Discussion within the SFL Online Franchise forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #65
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: ACQB Rules Discussion

Ok enough discussion let's get a set of general rules up tomorrow. If no one else wants to do it I will start a thread and list some general rules (based on feedback from this thread)

Last edited by TheKingOfVa; 09-11-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 28

Couple of things I would like to mention/add:

4th downs: To me, you shouldn't be going for it on 4th down the majority of the time. If you have a 4th and short and you have favorable field position, then by all means, make the coaching decision. Mainly, the rule I go by is if I am in that gray area (between the opponent's 30 and 38 yard line, it's often too close to punt and too far to kick it. This, of course, also implies the distance is reasonable (5 yards or less) to get the 1st. ALso, going for it when you are down and fighting the clock at the end of the game is a no brainer.

Excessive rules: Albeit I am new to this league, but so far in the 5 games I have played, everyone has played real football. There have been no bs tactics, and to be honest, I'm not sitting there looking for them. If you have guys who are going to bitch about every little thing it will take away from the main point of this... to have fun. I'm not going to curse a guy out because he dropped back 10 yards instead of 5, or if he saw fit to roll out of the pocket or whatever. I say just play and keep it as realistic as possible. There's too much to worry about if you start imposing all of these restrictions. If I am playing a guy who is the Redskins and he is constantly escaping pressure by rolling out of the pocket with McNabb, it's up to my sorry *** to try and stop it. I'm not going to be policing things.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #67
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Couple of things I would like to mention/add:

4th downs: To me, you shouldn't be going for it on 4th down the majority of the time. If you have a 4th and short and you have favorable field position, then by all means, make the coaching decision. Mainly, the rule I go by is if I am in that gray area (between the opponent's 30 and 38 yard line, it's often too close to punt and too far to kick it. This, of course, also implies the distance is reasonable (5 yards or less) to get the 1st. ALso, going for it when you are down and fighting the clock at the end of the game is a no brainer.

Excessive rules: Albeit I am new to this league, but so far in the 5 games I have played, everyone has played real football. There have been no bs tactics, and to be honest, I'm not sitting there looking for them. If you have guys who are going to bitch about every little thing it will take away from the main point of this... to have fun. I'm not going to curse a guy out because he dropped back 10 yards instead of 5, or if he saw fit to roll out of the pocket or whatever. I say just play and keep it as realistic as possible. There's too much to worry about if you start imposing all of these restrictions. If I am playing a guy who is the Redskins and he is constantly escaping pressure by rolling out of the pocket with McNabb, it's up to my sorry *** to try and stop it. I'm not going to be policing things.
I disagree with this point, dropping back too far and rolling out all of the time breaks the defensive zones and gives you way more time to throw the ball than you should have. You can't expect your corners to cover forever and it takes your DE's too long to get to the QB when guys do this. It should be policed to an extent.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #68
MVP

OVR: 55

Yeah, but deep drops can be combated by using the "pass rush" DL adjustment (especially in combination of fanning the DL), or by blitzing OLB's/DB's. If you send someone outside off that edge, that deep drop becomes a "fresh meat" situation and sacks can roll in. I understand when those circumstances are NOT met, yeah the deep drop can be an issue.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #69
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Yeah, but deep drops can be combated by using the "pass rush" DL adjustment (especially in combination of fanning the DL), or by blitzing OLB's/DB's. If you send someone outside off that edge, that deep drop becomes a "fresh meat" situation and sacks can roll in. I understand when those circumstances are NOT met, yeah the deep drop can be an issue.
Still, if I have to blitz every play in anticipation of a deep drop, then guys can start combating that by running the ball and doing other things. I shouldn't have to change my defensive scheme to combat things people shouldn't be doing in the first place. That puts my defense at an even further disadvantage than it is already.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
Still, if I have to blitz every play in anticipation of a deep drop, then guys can start combating that by running the ball and doing other things. I shouldn't have to change my defensive scheme to combat things people shouldn't be doing in the first place. That puts my defense at an even further disadvantage than it is already.
I can somewhat relate, but I think it can be to the defense's advantage at times too. If you contain a guy a few times and that's his comfortable action, you can take that away sometimes because he won't continually look for it. That variety and what I like to term "planting a seed of doubt" on D is how things need to be done this year.

I don't want everyone to be scrutinized every time they leave the pocket. If guys are dropping back too far every single play and it somehow works... we can go after that. To be honest, with acceleration in the game, I think it's hard to do these things successfully on a consistent basis.

I do still think it happens a lot more often in Madden than real life, though. Ends still don't get far enough upfield IMO. All Pro Football is still the standard for that. It's better than the past, but I think defenders need to be able to disengage faster when players break to the edge. Blockers wouldn't be able to stay engaged with their defender like they are in this game.

I think it boils down to me not believing drop backs are a root cause to high scores. I think defender acceleration, YAC, and broken tackles are the main root cause.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

Last edited by CreatineKasey; 09-12-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #71
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey

I think it boils down to me not believing drop backs are a root cause to high scores. I think defender acceleration, YAC, and broken tackles are the main root cause.
I dont think anyone is saying its leading to the high scores, just that its cheap to play against. It can be a real pain to defend. With a great qb and receivers, and a guy who is good at it, its deadly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #72
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

The (excessive)broken tackles suck big time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »