Home

ACQB Rules Discussion

This is a discussion on ACQB Rules Discussion within the SFL Online Franchise forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

OVR: 18
ACQB Rules Discussion

I know we all want some simple rules to assure sim gameplay in the league. We can use this post to bounce some ideas off each other. So that we as a league can decide the rules together.

(A list of possible rules for us based on league feedback)

-No 10-15 step QB drop backs so you can break down the zones
-No clock milking
-Mix up your play calling (don't play action every play or run the same play over and over again)
-Don't go for it on 4th down a bunch of times
-Don't run up the score, if you have a big lead (28 points of more) try to run the ball and burn clock. Also take a QB kneel at the end of the game
-Don't call slants/crossing routes all game/no excessive hot routing of wr's
-Give your opponent time to set up their defense, wait a few seconds before you hike the ball. The exception is if its the last 2 minutes of the half or you're down big and trying to come back

I don't think we need a lot of rules, just a few simple ones

Here are an example of rules from a sim league I been apart of for 7 years.

RULES BELOW ARE FOR MADDEN 11

NSFL Rules -

TEAM PLAYBOOKS:
You MUST use your specific team's playbook for season 1. We will re-address this issue before the start of season 2.

Substitutions
Most substitutions that the game will allow you to make are legit. If you want to put a FS on your nickel package that’s fine. Move a G to T, that’s fine. But there are common sense moves that you may not make. For instance, you cannot move A WR to TE, a WR to FS or CB or anything along those lines. Again, think like an NFL coach or GM and act accordingly.

Moves that are allowed via the depth chart.

On offense the only interchangeable parts are you offensive lineman. Other than that you cannot move any other players out of the position assigned to them by EA. So no moving CB's to WR
On defense you have a little more flexibility.

All linebacker's can move via the depth chart from outside to inside and vice versa. Corners can play any corner slot you wish and you can change your safety from SS/FS as you wish. On the defensive line you can also move those around as you wish from DT/DE.
You cannot move any corners to any safety position or vice versa. Nor move LB's to DE and vice versa.

If we do allow Team Playbook Changes after season 1, some of you might wish to change team defenses, and doing so might require you to move a DE to LB or vice versa. This will be handled as a case by case basis. Please contact a member of the exec committee in regards to this .

Gameplay
- 7 Minute quarters
- ALL MADDEN
- Injuries on
- Fatigue On

Headsets
Headsets are mandatory. In game conversations are not. You must check in with your opponent before the game via your headset, but you may mute the mic until after the game. We need to have headsets to resolve any and all issues that may come up during a game.

Offense

7 Second Rule
This means that when you come to the line you must give your opponent 7 seconds to get his defense set. Simply take a look at the play clock when you get to the LOS and wait until 7 seconds have ticked. If your opponent is still setting up his defense at 7 seconds, then give him time to get set. If he’s all set at 5 seconds, then snap the ball. Again, the golden rule is don’t be a dickhead … and there is no bigger dickhead move than quicksnapping and getting a cheap first down or TD because your opponent was switching his Defense.

The exceptions to this rule are in the final 2 minutes of each half. Again, give him a second or two, but if time is working against you in the final minutes, then get your play off as best you can. Your opponent should not be running around changing his d in the final minutes of halves anyways.

Should your opponent violate this rule, kindly remind him ingame. If he does it again, then he must throw the ball away on the next play and take a loss of a down.

Clock Milking
You should be snapping the ball at or around 20-25 seconds every play. We only have 7 minute quarters, but we have 45 second clocks. Some guys who have a lead may want to let the clock run down to 44 seconds and snap the ball.

That is gay and not acceptable unless you are halfway through the 4th quarter. Then it is a legitimate and SIM strategy.

Clock Milking is only acceptable inside the 3 minute mark in the 2nd or 4th quarter

Players in motion
You may send any player in motion but they must come to a complete stop. Should you hike the ball while the player is in motion and pass it to them, you must give up a down on the next play. Do not abuse Auto Motion plays.

General Play
You should try your best to mix up your placalling. There's no reason to run the same type of running/passing/defensive plays over and over. Use your playbook, agan...mix it up!

Play-action
You should not be running frequent play-action passes if you are not actually running the ball. Please do not abuse the PA Pass.

HB and WR Screens
Same rule applies here…these plays are perfectly fine and good…but don’t abuse or overuse any of them.

QB Drop Backs
One of the great cheese moves of madden players is to have your QB take 15 –18 step drops. Why? Because it gives your WR’s time to break through zones. However, show me where any NFL team does anything more than a 7 step drop and I’ll change the rule here. You may not drop your QB beyond the normal drop that is in the pass play that you selected.

Now … let’s be reasonable here. If the pressure is on, you may take a step or two back … but you really should be rolling out or stepping up in the pocket, not going backwards, to keep it SIM

We're trying to end tendencies of cheeze while allowing for the rare occasion where you may need an extra step or two.

Again, violations here are warning first time, loss of down everytime thereafter. Again, if you're just taking the drop that your pass play gives you, stepping up into the pocket or rolling out ... you'll have no problems here.

No-Huddle Offense
No-huddles are banned unless it’s the final 2 minutes of each half.

However if you are down big in the second half feel free to talk to your opponent. I am sure as grown men we know when it is acceptable to go no-huddle

4th Down attempts
There are two ‘4th down attempts’ that require explanation and separate rules.

“going for it” – this is when it’s 4th down and you come out ready to get a first down. The rule here is pretty simple. You may not ‘go for it’ on 4th down unless it is 4th down and less than 3 yards and you are on your opponents side of the field. You must also be outside of your FG kicker’s range (usually outside the 35 yard line). The exception to this rule is when you are down by 21 points halfway through the 3rd quarter and beyond or if it’s a SIM situation. Use your best judgment.

Fake punts/Fake Field Goals – Fake punts and/or Field Goals ARE NOT ALLOWED

DEFENSE

Formation Shifts
You may make any and all formation shifts that the game allows you to make. But you may not manually place players in the box or between the DL to create a 8-1-2 defense.

Taking Contol of the Player
You may take contol of any player on the field that is a LB, CB, and SS and move them wherever you want. You may also blitz the QB with this one player. However, once you have taken control of the one player and move them out of the place in the package, you must control them throughout the play. This rule keeps guys from stacking the line and taking advantage of AI blocking by overloading the line.

You may NOT control any of your DL Presnap. And you may not manually move your DL player outside their current position on the LOS to rush the QB. Only formation shifts of the DL are allowed.

You must at all times control a player on defense!! No exceptions, if we see that you are just letting the All-Madden AI do it for you. You will risk your membership to the league.

Blitzing the QB
You may run a pressure – type defense and depending on what team you have, you probably should. However, keep in mind that there is a fine line between blitzing a lot and being a dickhead. Not just ‘annoying’ or a ‘tough defensive scheme … but really just being a very unenjoyable opponent. Keep that in mind as you choose to blitz or not blitz. … a good rule of thumb is to keep your blitzes around 15 –20 per game on average and about 20-25 if you’re running a blitz-oriented defense.

We will be tracking blitzes.

Hot Routing-

Excessive Hot Routing is unacceptable. You should not be changing a route EVERY play at the line. Please be realistic about what type of player you have and how many changes you make at the line.

MISC

Running up the score, Trash-talking, etc.

Nothing wrong with some good competition, some heated rivalries and some tension between owners. We don’t have to like one another. But the expectation is that we will treat other with respect (as men) and that the over-arching rule of “Don’t be a dickhead” will govern our enthusiasms.

Be respectful, be creative, make friends and have a good time.

These rules will be reviewed and re-visited over the course of the seasons. Any and all changes to the rules will be communicated to league owners.

Good luck and good gaming.

And please remember….we have video evidence (not that we would every really need it)…thanks for something EA

Last edited by TheKingOfVa; 09-02-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: ACQB Rules Discussion

There is a problem with the LB's at DE. You cannot restrict that when the game itself has LB rush packages in Nickel, Dime and Quarter packages. Also I don't agree with the WR in motion on run plays. If I am running a stretch play and I want a WR to pick up an edge rusher with motion, that should be allowed.

Definitely do not agree with not controlling DL. You should be able to control who you want. People cannot have it both ways. They don't want people controlling DL, but controlling DL is definitely one way to eradicate screen plays. So what you get are guys who want to run screens for big plays, but they don't want people to control DL to stop screens. I rebuke such a rule just for that purpose.

Lastly, if my playbook has a bunch of auto-motion plays and I want to scheme around that I will. Sometimes leagues get too restrictive. That's why I got kicked out of one. I ran auto-motion plays but he wanted to press cover and hold my WR's at the line every play. So because I ran auto-motion I got kicked out. I didn't mind getting kicked out for that. A lot of times rules fit certain individuals and their own play styles and they want everyone to play in their sandbox; when they do, I'm going to call them on it.

Last edited by LBzrule; 09-02-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 28

Good post VA,

Just a couple of items I wanted to add my .02 to:

I don't think I've ever called a fake punt or FG, but I don't think they should be outright forbidden. Teams call them in real life. I had a guy do it to me yesterday on a 4th and 1 at midfield and it was a great call.

Also, why can't you control the D line or let the AI play defense? Letting the AI play defense can sometimes be less effective than controlling it yourself, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that you can effectively control anyone. I like having many of the rules, but too many rules can prevent real football from taking place. To some degree we need to accept limitations in the game as just that and play on. I'm not going to be a policeman during a game unless I see a guy is being a total douche (i.e, running up the score, going for 4th downs, etc. etc.).
Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

7 second rule: disagree
clock milking: agree
qb dropbacks: agree
4th down attempts: agree
taking control of a player/d-line: disagree
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
There is a problem with the LB's at DE. You cannot restrict that when the game itself has LB rush packages in Nickel, Dime and Quarter packages. Also I don't agree with the WR in motion on run plays. If I am running a stretch play and I want a WR to pick up an edge rusher with motion, that should be allowed.

Definitely do not agree with not controlling DL. You should be able to control who you want. People cannot have it both ways. They don't want people controlling DL, but controlling DL is definitely one way to eradicate screen plays. So what you get are guys who want to run screens for big plays, but they don't want people to control DL to stop screens. I rebuke such a rule just for that purpose.

Lastly, if my playbook has a bunch of auto-motion plays and I want to scheme around that I will. Sometimes leagues get too restrictive. That's why I got kicked out of one. I ran auto-motion plays but he wanted to press cover and hold my WR's at the line every play. So because I ran auto-motion I got kicked out. I didn't mind getting kicked out for that. A lot of times rules fit certain individuals and their own play styles and they want everyone to play in their sandbox; when they do, I'm going to call them on it.

I don't agree with all of these rules either, I just put it up so we can have something to build on for our rules. The only reason DE play is outlawed in this league is because it's on All Madden. Glad everyone is voicing their opinions on what our rules should be.

I dont agree with the auto motion rule or de rule (only because we play on All-Pro). Also if someone wants to go for a fake punt or fake fg they should be allowed but we shouldn't see a consistent pattern of that.

Last edited by TheKingOfVa; 09-02-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule

I agree with all that. i also have players that I move around. In particular Glover quin who is one of the hardest hitting Corners. I sub him in at Safety sometimes and I don't see anything wrong with that. This is way too restrictive imo.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
L*st M*n R*nn*ng

Blaise's Arena

OVR: 14

I disagree with the All Madden difficulty. I know defense is an issue right now, but you don't over compensate for it with All Madden. You don't have to worry defense on All Madden, cause the difficulty is your defense. All the worst parts of this game come out on all madden.

"Do you know how to catch a ball with no eyes, and stubby hands?.......You catch it with your heart"

Last edited by Blaise; 09-02-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
I disagree with the All Madden difficulty. I know defense is an issue right now, but you don't over compensate for it with All Madden. You don't have to worry defense on All Madden, cause the difficulty is tour defense. All the worst parts of this game come out on all madden.

Blaise i wasn't saying we should go to All Madden, the league who I copy and pasted the rules from is on all-madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »