View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
ChiTownKid
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10
Well that was... different

So I played my first game, default All-Pro, with all the aids off. My Bears at home vs. Rams. 7min quarters, no accelerated clock.

The thing that really struck me as weird was the final score. I won 16-3. I can't remember the last time I scored under 20 in a game of Madden, much less hold the CPU to a field goal, and on All-Pro.

The defense really *is* stepped up this year, and I like it. But I don't think the Bears should have been able to hold the Rams to 3. And when I play, I play LB's exclusively on defense. All the DB stuff is handled by the AI.

I rushed for 160+ yards with the Jones/Thomas combo. The running game was pretty damn easy just by putting in audibles the ran in two different directions. If the CPU stacks the strong side, audible weak. And vice-versa. They never adjusted after I called my audible.

Another thing I found wonky was that well into the game, when it was all but a given that I would run on 1st down, the CPU lines up in a Nickel. A lot. Or a 3-4, with the LB's spread out real thin. Easy pickings for runs up the gut.

But it wasn't all gravy, not by any means. Especially considering the score. I kicked 3 FG's, and was able to grind out a rushing TD on a 3rd & goal from the 2. In the end, I lost the ball twice on fumbles, but picked off Bulger three times.

Obviously, I'm going to play more to see if the CPU continues to be the victim of the defensive AI, but I was really surprised at what a defensive battle that game was.

Oh, and kicking is a whole lot harder than what I'm accostomed to. I think I shanked 2 punts, and booted a kickoff out of bounds. You really gotta watch that friggin meter.

So far, I am impressed. The AI does a fine job of playing the pass, and guarding the flats. About the only thing I saw from an AI stand point was when your receivers finish running their routes, they just stand there. Like, frozen.

Ah well, I'll be putting some serious time into this game tomorrow.
Advertisements - Register to remove