Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
timmg
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5
Talking Re: Bad Rap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost
Don't understand it but it really seems like a lot of folks are very disappointed with NCAA compared to Madden this year. I just picked up Madden and feel the opposite of most people. What's weird is the fact that this is really the first year in a very long time that I still want to play NCAA after picking up Madden. I'm more of a college guy but Madden always has a more polished look and feel that makes NCAA seem outdated so it goes on the shelf for the rest of the year. This year is different for me for some reason. I played Madden and besides the two-man tackles I actually like NCAA's animations a lot more. NCAA did a wonderful job this past year of adding very subtle animation pieces that really make the gameplay seem smoother and more varied. Madden has some nice animations but there are still alot of times where the "two guys run into each other and bounce to the ground" kind of thing happens. NCAA has really limited that situation. I also am not a big fan of one player morphing right though another player. I had my defensive tackle shifted over the center and he went "through" the center to get a sack. There is also an issue with quaterbacks getting creamed before releasing the ball but the ball still magically gets zipped out of the pile of humanity on a line right to a receiver. You can tell in the instant replays that animation sequences were left out. Call me crazy but I just think that the work done by the animation team for NCAA has been vastly overlooked.
I have both games for the PS2 this year whereas in years past I had them for the XBox. I believe strongly that this is the reason a lot of people are disappointed with NCAA. EA games are a lot better on the PS2 whether or not people want to beleive it or not. I read about how much faster Madden plays than NCAA and want to laugh. I think that NCAA is actually just as fast if not a tad bit quicker in some cases than Madden. Good backs in NCAA are very quick and agile and you can really get a feel for their speed. I played with a back in Madden that had 93 speed and he didn't seem to hit the hole any faster than a bigger guy. I also absolutely love how the backs in NCAA have there heads on a swivel while running. It is a small detail but boy does it add a lot to the overall feel of the game.
I really like having the big hit button as the bottom left trigger over having to reach for the hit stick. Just seems more natural to me. This was a great addition in both games that I think will only get better. It really opens the door for EA to add a hitting (different from the tackle) rating for each guy and some cool animations that only happen when guys like Ray Lewis drill someone. I've been waiting years for a rating in this area and now it finally seems like a possibility.
Finally there is the presentation and atmosphere that NCAA does so well. Love the 3 man booth and despite what people say I have heard a wealth of new commentary. The crowd noise is fantastic and I really like HFA. Some are now turning it off because it has some flaws, but it's a start and I'll give them "Kudos" for trying something new.
Both games have made big strides. I only wish more people had a chance to play NCAA on the PS2 because it's a whole different ball game on this system. Sad but true.

ohiost
I'm gonna send you my eye doctor bill!!