View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 12:48 AM   #2
dieselboy
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Rookie scouting strategies?

Well, here is what I usually do.

Before the draft, I identify positions that I need to fill with either, a starter because of lack of talent, or a player who might be a starter when my current player at the position retires.

Then, I check out the free-agency list. You can do this by going to Roster, then choosing, Free Agents. For example, (not realistic), lets say I'm the Cardinals, and I need a QB. I check out the FA list, and maybe someone such as, Jake Delhomme is available, for whatever reason. Then I weigh out if I need him now, or would be better off drafting a top notch QB?

Then, I scout the players I have decided I will try and draft, and address the other needs thru free-agency. Then I scout those positions, I start out checking out a few first rounders, because you never know who will be available. If in the process of scouting, I find a few negative things about the player. Whether its his poor 40 time, his strength, his interview, or something my scouts tell me, then I will usually stop scouting that player.

In the end, just scout the positions you need, and after you have identified a few players, who should be available rounds 1-3, then you are well set. I usually don't spend much on players projected in the later rounds, because you don't have enough to find the best players if you do that. So I usually I just simulate the later rounds, 5-7, if I have no idea who to draft, mostly because the computer has a good idea who is rated well.