View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #1391
billharris44
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders Discussion

Just when you thought it was safe to read this thread--I'm back. :-)

I made one more set of revisions. My fundamental problem with all sliders I've tried, including my own, has been not enough CPU offense. Two of my last three games (both playoff games) were 24-20 and 27-24. I just finished playing the Bengals (2008 playoffs), and Carson Palmer was 13-24-0 for 211 yards, and the Bengals had 350+ total yards. I had about 420 total yards, though, and hung on by a fingernail. This is the first time I've started yelling at the t.v. (which is my ultimate seal of approval on a game, usually).

Here are the settings, with explanations for the changes below:
First value is Human setting, second value is CPU setting:
Blocking: 16,40
Passing: 0,40
Running: 16,40
Catching: 40,40
Coverage:4*,28*
Pursuit: 4*,10*
Tackling: 0*,8
Kicking: 0,40*
Fatigue: 4,4
Injury: 20
Fumbles: 28
Interceptions: 0

In order:
Coverage--Human to 4, CPU to 28. I just never saw open space for CPU receivers with Human coverage at 8. I do see some now. CPU setting was increased because I think flag routes are a little too effective, and this cuts that back some.
Pursuit--Human to 4, CPU to 10. 4 gives the CPU a small speed bonus on offense, but it also makes big plays possible without being ridiculous. However, lowering CPU to 10 also makes it possible for us to have big plays against the CPU as well.
Tackling--Human to 0. The number of broken tackles doesn't go up tremendously from a setting of 8, but it does slightly increase the chances of a running back gaining the corner, breaking a tackle, and taking off, which the CPU really needs. Using these settings I still held Jamal Lewis to 96 yards on 24 carries in a playoff game, and 32 of that was on one run.
Kicking--Like I said a few pages back, I tested this in situation mode and it affects accuracy only. 40 is the most realistic setting based on results of about 50 CPU kicks that I charted from various distances.

I'm going to post a few house rules I'm using in Franchise mode in a couple of days because this all integrates. If you build up some incredible team because of Franchise A.I. weaknesses, then all sliders will bore you. So I'm trying to make the game challenging both on the field and in the General Manager's office as well. I want the slider settings to force challenges upon you in the draft and free agency as well, not just on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove