View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #44
moose1619
Pro

OVR: 14
Re: What bothers you most about NCAA 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
I enjoy this type of x's and o's discussion. I have these types of discussions on football coaching sites as well. I do have a question though, why would the Mike take the backside A gap when the flow of the play would be going to the strongside? I would think Will would take that gap. Now if we're talking zone blocking in the passing game this would be the case to pickup this type of stunt. As for the chip on the nose shade, even though it happens relatively quick, our coaching staff still counts it as a tandem block with the left guard.

More than likely Mike would take the playside B gap not the Sam.

In our offense we have Ace, Deuce, and Trey combos. They are designed to purposely attack the defensive line. The specific blocking rules come into play based on what the defensive line does after the ball is snapped. Each one of those combos will have a "tag" based on the alignment of the defensive front and they are Base, Wedge, Slow, and Fast. For example our Ace Base scheme is a center/guard combo and is similar to what you're describing. This scheme is used when these two players are covered. With the other Ace calls the center makes a line call to alert which guard he'll combo with. A "Leopard" call is for the left guard and "Rhino" call is for the right guard. Deuce is a guard/tackle combo and Trey is a tackle/end combo.
In response to your first question I am assuming the nose shae and mike are switching gaps . Most teams run a gap control defense and when they stunt they still leave every gap covered so if the nose shade stunts to playside a gap the mike backer would no longer be responsible for playside a gap but would then move to backside a gap.

You do have a point, will could come and take backside a gap and the 5 tech could slant to backside B, that would leave a safety responsible for contain and wouldn't be a great Defensive move due to the bootleg and end around.

We do similar ace, duece and trey calls. However we do not look at these as zone blocks. When we run iso, power, counter, etc we use these calls, when we run a "zone rt or lt" we try to block it just like zone block for pass, with us attacking the D.

In this example I am trying to think of the D logic and gap control. i was assuming when the D line stunts strong the backers would have to take over the gaps for the d line. And the d would still have to think of contain on the QB.