View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 11:57 AM   #593
Bradley21
Banned

Bradley21's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: players not in the game caps

In regards to the players that still need to be done.

Here's the steps I take in creating these guys:
1) Go out and actually find a scouting report on the guy. (without access to Baseball America's prospect book that's not alway easy.)

2. Read scouting reports, try to find out the pitcher's pitches, who they pitch most like etc. This often means finding 3-4 different reports to get all the information necessary or just to double check. For batters what sort of swing (short and compact or long and big). Batting stance too. Also what sort of fielder he is, defensive or defensive liability.

3. Find a picture of the guys face and then an in-game picture. Now I can create his face and equipment accurately

4. Find the guys number. This isn't always easy given Yahoo and MLB sites never have the same number

5. For batters now I have to look at the thread for creating batters with specific averages so the guy doesn't hit .400 in AAA ball when he's a .256. So I need to cross reference. Then I make guesses as to base stealing and estimate power.

6. Create

7. Sim 10 games to see what he "acts" like. For pitchers it's 4 starts or 4 relief appearances.

Estimated turnaround time from CAP request to completion: 15 minutes if everything clicks properly: information, pictures, #, batting stats etc - 2 days if I can't find ANYTHING on the guy and have to literally piece him together by looking at other similar players.

Honestly I can throw together CAPS for Self, Fiorentino and Prieto right now, but they won't be accurate and if you really intend to "develop" prospects, who wants some guy in A or AA that jumps to the majors in 1 season and competes with Pujols for batting titles immediately.

My whole point is this: If you want these CAP's done faster helping with the research ALWAYS makes our work easier.

e.g.

Player, Organization, Link to scouting or prospect report, possibly a link to a photo.

That right there not only decreases our workload by 50%, but it also tells us that "hey I really am interested in this guy, please do him up"

Cheers.

P.S. I'll do Self and Fiorentino right now.