Old 06-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #198
CWood2
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Well, the Sox got shut-out for the first time this season last night. It just stunk that they wasted a nice outing by Wakefield in doing so.

Speaking of the Giants, Peter Gammons reports that the Sox were in talks with them about Jason Schmidt. However, they haven't liked what they have seen out of him and do not appear to be on the verge of making an offer.
I was thinking about Jason Schmidt today. A year ago, he'd be one of my top targets in all of baseball for that Sox rotation. But for some reason, he doesn't seem worthy of a Hanley Ramirez prospect package anymore. The Giants may not want to shell out his asking price in the offseason due to arm injuries or maybe it's that 5.40 ERA thus far, but he's come down in value about as quick as Gagne. I wonder what it would cost to get him.... I DON'T want to see Hanley go, and even a guy like Papelbon seems foolish to let go of.

If we trade Hanley, we'd have to look more seriously at resigning Damon, and the combination of Damon and Schmidt would cost about 20 mil a year...and that's not Theo's style.

Who do you think the Sox should look at before the deadline and in the offseason to fortify the rotation and get us younger at the front most importantly? Obviously take out guys like Ben Sheets who just reupped their commitments to perennial losers like the Brewers.