View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #629
GBrushTWood
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread

I'm personally ecstatic that idjits like the NY Yankees front office and their fanbase don't recognize the importance of evaluating defense like the Boston Red Sox (and most other franchises) do.

This just gives us even more of a competitive advantage over the Bronx. The Yankees can keep trotting in shiny and expensive new pitching signees year after year, and you shall continue to see them underperform mysteriously. Eventually, Mel Stottelmyre will get canned (and he does deserve it), but the actual players behind the pitcher seem to get none of the rap.

After a pitcher throws the ball, he does not have a large impact on what happens, it's up to the batter and the fielders (in most cases). The fielders have an enormous impact on a pitchers ERA (especially with guys who don't have lights out stuff, aka junk-ballers, or some sinkerball pitchers like Derek Lowe). A pitchers performance is tremendously dependent on his teammates. So, unless you can find a pitcher who can strike out 27 guys a game, you need to have solid defense behind you. In the Yankees case, they have negative defenders at most positions (and even Rodriguez is supposedly having a down year defensively from what I have heard).

I'm utterly astounded that you described Bernie Williams as having "made some nice plays" in the field this year. I don't think you're a Yankee fan, so that makes some sense, but for the record, Bernie Williams is having a historically poor defensive season. There is a giant fork sticking out of his back out there in center. He's literally an embarrassment to his own reputation from his prime, and I believe that most Yankee fans would agree. A good defensive centerfielder is extremely important in terms of the overall defensive efficiency of a team, (which led to my Carlos Beltran vs. RJ statement from above)...

Honestly, if the Yankees traded for Mike Cameron without losing Gary Sheffield, I would be more scared of them than I am right now. That's how good defensively he is. His bat sucks, but the Yankees problems are not their offense...He could bat 6th-8th and be a HUGE addition. Fortunately for me, I don't think the Yankees are smart enough to pull off this move.