Old 07-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #508
GBrushTWood
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
My guess is that Burnett's agent may be indirectly involved in these trade talks. He's probably telling the Marlins where Burnett is willing to sign and how much it will take. They're not going to announce a trade only to have Burnett not sign and have it fall apart. This may be the case with the Blue Jays since Burnett has already expressed an interest in playing for Baltimore or Boston.
This is likely the case, but why would Burnett not want to go to Toronto? I imagine they could pay him just as much, if not more, than any of the other suitors. Money is the single most important aspect of the re-signing process. I could see them ponying up something like 4 years/$48M, or something in that neighborhood. Burnett could be the missing piece to bring the Jays back into the playoffs, so that could be an enticing aspect with being hailed as the 'savior' of sorts. Who knows though, this is all idle speculation with no inside knowledge. It's certainly interesting to discuss.

As a Red Sox fan, it's fairly disconcerting to know the Jays are sitting on all that money, waiting to make the right move... This is even more of a reason why Theo can't afford to take on a Lowell type player that could prohibit us from acquiring somebody else at a later time.