View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 07:28 PM   #37
The Chef

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Madden 06 sets opening week sales record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Not really, EB and Gamestop knows that if a certain game will not sell they will loss money tremendouslly in that kind of method. So what they would do is only pay the games that was sold and those that where not will go back. They probably pay each copy of Madden for like $15 to $20 dollars so each vendor can have there own special no matter how they wanted it. The only time EB or Gamestop will loss money is if they can't sell enough copies of games to support thier expenses and buying a used game from customers to name two.
When I worked at a game store, we were purchasing games from the vendors for around 40.00 a pop, so the stores really dont make much on new games at all, most of their profit comes from the used product they push, which is why they give such bad trade in value on a lot of games. In regards to sending the games back to the vendor if they dont sell, thats not true either, we were either stuck with them at the store level and trying to sell them at a reduced price or sending them back to corporate to then ship out to any stores that have had success selling that title in the past. Unless things have drastically changed in the last year, which I doubt it has then this is still the practiced method within the gaming video chains, but then again things could have changed I suppose.