View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #39
The Chef

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Madden 06 sets opening week sales record

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
If GS or EB doesn't think a game will sell well enough, they just don't order a large amount of copies. They don't lose money because they don't buy 100 copies of a game when they will only sell 15.

The only reason I think this is how it is, is that when I played High Heat and called Gamestop to see if they had it on opening day, the guy told me "Yes, but we only got 3 copies so I can hold one of them for you". Obviously High Heat didn't sell as well as some of the other games so the store didn't order that many copies.

Like Pimping219 stated, they don't sell the games back. These places are stuck with games and is also why they try to push everyone to pre-order copies. It gives them more accurate numbers in terms of sales expected (not to mention previous years averages).
Almost forgot about that, very true, the stores dont order many copies of games they dont feel will sell well. I remember trying to get pretty much any of the 2k games and where I worked it either came down to waiting an extra week because they didnt feel like paying the extra money to get the overnight shipments or go somewhere else to get it, and then to top it off they would get them in and you would find out they only ordered 3 copies. Just to clarify, I worked for Game Crazy, and they are about as incompetant as it comes.