Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
CaptainZombie
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: PSP Madden Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Conine
I've had the game shutdown on me only twice since purchase, so it hasn't been that much of an issue. Madden PSP is the only football game I've been playing this year, due to the fact that I can play a quarter at a time in my few spare moments (before bed, in the morning, etc.). How often were you seeing the shutdown?

Menu load times on Madden were not a problem for me at all (unlike TW), and online in this game is amazing.

I do see the flaws in the PSP game design (especially load times from EA), but it appears those kinks are steadily getting ironed out as devs learn the hardware and how to stream off the UMD. Socom and GTA are what I'm most looking forward to.
I think that if GTA is amazing on here, than it gives a clear indication of what the system could be if optimized properly. But remember how MC3: DUB turned out on PSP, I was amazed that they took the full console version and ported it over. The 70 second load times were just insane. I fear that this could be the issue with GTA if Rockstar hasn't already figured a way around this.

I love football games, so I was excited that Madden was coming on the PSP even though I have been a little bit upset that the franchise hasn't moved forward. On the PSP, this game was very fun for me. Between the shutdown and the locking up that I would get at times when there was a transition from the playcall screen to the field I had enough.

My system would always shutdown in the 2nd week of franchise mode. I would sim a few games and then the shutdown would occur again. I just about had it with frustation do to lack of games, madden shutdown & freezing problems, and the horrible optimization on games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that developers are trying to cram way too much on to the UMD for these games. I think it's great that they add all these mini games and so forth, but it only causes more problems. If the developers would have started out with a smaller feature set per game, and then add on the next iteration than things would run much smoother.

I do think it is starting to get better with the 2nd generation of games.

Yes, I bet by next fall the PSP will be an amazing machine. I'm still amazed as to how they are able to fit so much on a UMD. Since the system is only running at 222 MHZ right now, expect Sony to unlock the 111 MHZ for developers that is remaining since the system can go to 333MHZ. Especially with a possible price drop soon to $200.00, this system is a steal.

I have nothing but good things to say about the system, but I think SONY released this thing way too early and I know they did that because of Microsoft XBOX360. I think that they should have waited till August to release the PSP instead of March as it would have helped iron out the many kinks in games + we would have had a larger gaming library by then. I guess marketing and deadlines has a lot to do with releases.

I orginally bought this for business trips and when my kids are watching cartoons, than it could keep me busy. I have been so disappointed by the games that are available which has really made it a stinker. I was one of the lucky guys that didn't have any dead pixels or problems with the system.

Maybe by Fall 2006, I can own a PSP once again which by then almost every game released will be quality like.

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 10-12-2005 at 02:49 PM.