Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #13
quietcool72
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Tacking into the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
I believe that this debate is something that is deeper than comparing skin color, nationality, and background vs. sexual preference. I personally have my thoughts and am pretty sure that everyone else has theirs. Definitely see a similarity as to where you guys were coming from, but I gotta say I do disagree with the comparison. I can't view it as anything separate from Christianity, and I know that religious debate isn't exactly allowed on here. I'll give props on the article, but that's about it.......
Well said.

Another thing I think we need to think about is that this woman is "coming out of the closet" in a time when coming out of the closet is far less of a big deal. Twenty years ago, she'd have been taking some serious risks in doing this. Now? I don't think so.

Face it folks, she's more likely to be embraced by our culture now moreso than ever. If another WNBA player married a good man and lived a wholesome life, it wouldn't be front page CNN news- that's for sure. This woman admits she's a lesbian and suddenly she's "heroic" and "brave".

Three words:
Morally Bankrupt Society

We are living in a time when hollywood and the media has painted homosexuality as "the new chic'". Its labeled "fashionable" in almost every television and movie medium. Will and Grace. Queer Eye. Sex In The City. Seinfeld (not that there's anything wrong with that...), Friends, ... you name it.

We are also living in a time when homosexuals go further than just wanting respect and safety (which should be freely given, we all agree there..)- but there are many also looking to convert others... some at a VERY young age. If you don't believe me, check out your local public school library and pick up the children's book "King and King"- targeted at preschoolers. (Its actually one in a series of books aimed at Sesame Street aged kids..)

The rule of thumb for this generation: If it feels good, do it. If it doesn't outwardly and/or overtly hurt someone, go for it. We are like small children who know what our father told us to do, but justify loopholes and logistical caveats as to why we embrace our own quiet rebellion.

"If it doesn't hurt someone else, it must be okay to do... besides, the people on TV do it.."

To me, this was like her going public with an alchohol problem that she doesn't intend to do anything about. I wish her nothing but the best, and I hope she finds the strength to battle the problem instead of justifying it.

But, then again... me and luv_mist are probably in the minority.