View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #1789
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

looks like Theo is still doing some good even though he doesn't have a contract. From boston.com:

Quote:
Report: Timlin coming back
By David Lefort, Boston.com Staff

It appears Theo Epstein’s expected deal (which could be announced as soon as today) won’t be the first one struck by the Red Sox this offseason.

According to the Providence Journal’s Sean McAdam, the team reached a tentative agreement to retain relief pitcher Mike Timlin yesterday.

McAdam reported that Timlin, who set a club record with 81 appearances last year as a setup man and then as a closer, will receive a one-year deal. He made $2.75 in 2005. According to McAdam, the deal will become official early next week, when Timlin undergoes a physical.

A few days ago, the Boston Globe reported that Timlin, who will be 40 years old in March, contacted Epstein last week in an effort to start talks about a new deal to keep him in Boston. The two exchanged voice-mails, but hadn’t talked as of a few days ago, Timlin said.

''I just want to be able to do this and get this done," Timlin told the Globe at the time. ''I'm not going to say I need two years. We'll do what we can to re-sign with Boston."

Timlin also recently broke ties with his agent and is representing himself.