View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
mgoblue
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Whatever Happened to the Good Times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
I think it's us, not the games or the internet.

My nephews give me perspective. A nephew was staying with me, and noticed Madden. He asked about it, then talked about how much he loved Madden.

His version was a few years old, on the Gamecube. His favorite team is the Seahawks, and favorite player was Marshall Faulk. So he'd always trade for Faulk, and create himself and his brother (maxxed out, of course). Then he'd try to get Marshall 300 rushing yards a game.

He had a blast because he was treating it as what it is: a toy, a game, a disc of fun.

That's a very good point...in my Campus Legend on NCAA I'm a WR, and I've had so much fun running my routes, calling for the ball nearly every pass, and trying to get as many yards and TD's as I can. Doesn't always work, but in the game I'm the ultimate TO, I love me some me. Sure, it's "cheese" and "not realistic" but boy do I have fun playing it.

I suppose now I start to wonder if games are ever going to get so hard where they're not fun. I enjoy the mental aspect of football, but will defensive AI get so good that in order to have a chance of winning you have to watch imaginary game tape, learn the various defenses and all the weaknesses/tendencies, so you know where to pass and run? I really hope we don't reach the point where it moves from "fun" to "work"