View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #52
RogueHominid
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: The All-Underused Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
OK Trojan, fifth and final game of the experiment and it was my best game with this team. I won 31-7. The dude scored on his first possession but I shut him down after that. He had Ken O'Brien, Barry Foster, Rob Moore, Mark Carrier and Eric Green on offense. Defense he had Willie Brown, Willie Wood, Joey Browner, LC Greenwood, Mel Renfro. Don't know who the 11th was, didn't make a difference anyway.

Snell 24 carries, 154 yards, 3 TD long of 39, 7.3 average; 2 rec. 14 yards 1 TD.
I didn't pass to him much because, well, I didn't really need to. I went to practice mode yesterday with Snell while my internet was done, found out some more running plays I like and practiced the shoulder charge. The guy stood no chance. Snell was an absolute beast. One play I cut through a bunch of guys in the middle, he had Wood coming up to lay a massive hit on me but the shoulder charge threw him back. 21 yard gain. Snell is a lot of fun to play, especially if you love power backs.

Dawson 5-6 105 yards, 1 TD/0 INT. Didn't need to throw. When I did, he worked well.

Defense, Clyde Simmons 2 tackles, 2 sacks. Dan Saleaumua 5 tackles, 2.5 sacks. Maybe it was his offensive line or maybe my legends stepped up, but I finally got the pressure and penetration I'd been looking for. Passing plays were an adventure for him as evidenced by...

O'Brien 5-16, 71 yards, 0 TD/1 INT. That's a 31% completion rate. The guy you could tell preferred running to throwing. But still.

Foster 7 carries, 23 yards, 1 TD. I couldn't stop Foster on the first series. I finally got my playcalling and pre-snap adjustments together and he was shutdown after that.

So yeah, this team's a keeper. Snell especially. I am considering swapping Saleaumua for a tight end or a linebacker, but his performance in this game has me thinking twice. Bottom line is, is fun to try new guys and guys that aren't popular. They're some of the best.
Really great stuff, sportsdude. I would not have figured Snell to be the type you could run tosses with, but your earlier post proved that assumption wrong. His stamina is impressive as well. He seems like a really well-rounded player and one who possesses lots of skills that don't come through when you just look at the list of attributes. I'm really liking what you're getting out of Dawson, too. Nobody uses him because of Cunningham.

Saleamua I wouldn't call underused, as I see him lots online, but his ability to collapse the pocket is perhaps underrecognized. He will be a consistent pass rush threat 2/3 of the time for me. I think with Simmons, a little manual controlling will help boost his production. If you switched him out, you'd notice a dropoff over the long haul, and you'll miss the occasional huge game that Saleamua has, but you'll get more consistent and noticeable production from Metzelaars. I hate facing that guy because I think he's got a little more talent in the game than he did IRL, but who am I to judge?

In the mean time, I had thought about putting together scouting notes on some of the guys in the game that people just don't use much. What do you think of that? Perhaps something to spread the word.

Guys Lenny Moore and Charlie Taylor, Nolan Cromwell and Robert Brazile, Matt Snell, Jim Parker, and the list goes on.