View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #79
Heelfan71
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Petrino leaves Atlanta, heads to Arky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Safe job? This is the man that fired Dan Reeves in 2003 after a 3-10 start, despite the fact that the Falcs lost Vick for the year in the preseason. If Reeves' (the only coach in franchise history to get the team to a Super Bowl) didn't get a pass, why would anyone assume Petrino would?

Fact: the average tenure of a Falcons coach prior to this year (not counting interim coaches) has been 3 years. Reeves' 6 1/2 seasons makes him the longest tenured coach in team history.

I understand why some people are upset about this. I submit that given this team's history it is not unreasonable for Petrino to assume that he would eventually get axed, more than likely sooner than later. Why wait for the axe to fall when a better situation has presented itself?

he left Louisville right after signing a 10 year deal. His quote right after the Louisville season.

Quote:
I understand my name is being mentioned in connection with job openings in the National Football League, but I want to reiterate my commitment to the University of Louisville, our players and all of our Cardinal fans. The University of Louisville has been great for me and (my) family, and I'm committed to fulfilling our goal of taking the program to the next level.

He is a coward if you ask me. At least have the balls to tell the truth.