View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
PSU_DW2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: College Hoops 2K8 Review (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudjazz
The core of this game has not changed from day one, in my opinion, and that' s a bad thing. I mean, if I'm on defense and the ball is passed inbounds to the same spot EVERY TIME, don't you think the CPU offense would adjust by running the baseline to get a better pass, or wait until someone can come help out?

That's just one example. What about the CPU PG's that bring the ball up the court and stand there, either passing to the right or left of the key? In real life, those passes would be intercepted every time, but in this game, the PG just waits until you jump one lane before passing in the other one. Not realistic. Simple X's and O's, folks. I have yet to figure out whether the testing team is missing these simple things, doesn't care about the realism of the game, or the dev's don't feel that it's that important an issue.

Try turning up 'Awareness' for both you and the CPU team. What do you guys think about the playcalling system and calling the plays in game (offense and defense)? I know they made some improvements. I want to be able to make the CPU call different types of games based on the type of players they have (dimensions and ratings). Like in one game with a quick team with great outside shooters, the CPU should play a perimeter finesse attack with lots of passing and try to implement their game accordingly. With another team, I'd want the CPU to come out with a low post offense if they have lots of big men and are not that quick and not that great 3 point shooters. Can you do this in this game or does the CPU automatically play like that?

I suspect this is a great game. I am hoping that the sliders work correctly. I am sure some minor adjustments might go a long way. Also try playing the game on 'MOP' gameplay. That might make the CPU also play harder, especially on defense differently...

I am going to have to test out a 40:00 matchup between UMass -BC, and Princeton - Penn St, and want to get a challenging game with MOP sliders and see if I can get realistic results. I mean the Princeton - Penn St game was brick city for the Tigers in large portions of the game. I would think MOP default sliders would make it hard to score (as it was in past versions). In U Mass BC, it was a game with lots of fast breaks, especially for UMass. Was it BC's player's ability of being slower than UMass's players, or it was the defensive pressure and offensive tempo that did it? Fast break slider? That would seemingly be higher for UMass than BC. There should be these settings for the CPU. It is very important as a user to change these tempo / pressure settings and know when to run zone and when to run the man to man defense. Sometimes playing a zone is the right move to defend an attack since remember you can draw a charge on any part of the court in college. When I play these games on the 360 I'll post my results...

Last edited by PSU_DW2; 12-14-2007 at 11:14 AM.