View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #93
maskedmarvel
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The All-Underused Team

Another vote for Grogan, he's not great at any one thing, but competent in and out of the pocket, and very consistent.

I actually think Watters is a little bit better than Roger Craig overall -- he breaks more tackles and has a bit more speed -- even though Craig's Mr. 3rd Down attribute makes him pretty sweet catching passes on third-and-medium.

Anyone use Dave Butz instead of Fridge/Salemuna (spelling?)? Supposedly a run stuffer, but under CPU control, he's always in the backfield on passing downs. Hidden attributes?

Robert Brazile is a STEAL at bronze. Supposedly a coverage linebacker, but really good against the run, he always seems to hide behind blocks and then swoop in to make the stop. I used to swear by Lloyd, but Brazile is a better value.

I just started using Andre Reed instead of Charley Taylor -- don't know if Reed is popular online or not, but I really like him. Lacks Taylor's speed but just seems to adjust his body to catch everything, even when he doesn't get great separation.

Another guy who may or may not be underused: Brent Jones. I like him a lot better than Ben Coates, he's a perfectly competent run blocker and just always seems to get open in the passing game. Against a Cover 2, he is DEADLY running the seam or post route in the deep middle.

I also have to second Ickey Woods. Sometimes I'll put him on a team and use him as the HB. There are better options at silver -- I totally agree that Chris Warren is amazing, he must have nothing but hidden attributes, he's good at everything if not great -- but Ickey is just FUN to run with. He sorta rumbles and stumbles, it might be an animation thing. Just feels good to control (much like Warren).

I really enjoy this game -- if anything, I wish there was a play tutorial that would explain the progressions on the various pass plays, and what the various defensive plays are designed to stop -- and hope there's some sort of sequel.