Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #25
BlyGilmore
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The Art of Constructing a Baseball Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS-One
I'd disagree slightly with the 6 and 7 spots in an AL lineup. It's common knowledge (at least, as far as I know, it's common knowledge...if that makes sense) that the 7th hitter is the "second cleanup hitter." Your 6th hitter should be a guy who makes good contact, can move guys around the bases, etc. (much like your #2 hitter) and then your #7 guy should have decent power to the gaps so that he can drive in any guys still on base from the meat of the lineup.
There are certainly different schools of though on constructing a lineup. What I presented just happens to be one. As I mentioned its really an art form more than a science, and of course a huge factor in this is the players you have available to you.

The one flaw I see in the "second cleanup hitter" theory is a player who has the attributes you mentioned would be better served batting higher up simply because it means he'll see more at bats.

To me a big part of the bottom slots in the lineup is turning it over to get back to your top players. So I'd rather take that contact you have hitting 6th, put him 7th or 8th (assuming NL) and move that second cleanup guy to 6th - giving him a chance to mop up any RBIs your 4 and 5 guys have left, or to drive in the 4 and 5 guys if they hit doubles.
Advertisements - Register to remove