Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #28
BlyGilmore
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The Art of Constructing a Baseball Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I think you're forgetting there's more than one way to do a lineup. There's the Speed, Control, Contact way. It isn't used in MLB at all because of the abundance of power hitters. basically you have your line up split into 3 sections. The first hitter is your speed guy, second guy can move runners along and 3rd guy is the contact guy. It is a very useful lineup if you do not have sluggers on your team. Sometimes in lineups, I like to arrange my 3rd hitter as my power hitter and my 4th guy as my contact guy, it just depends on who is getting on base and if I need my 4th hitter to get on base or not.
I could see that working on a team line the Twins a few years ago where their top HR guy only had like 25 or so. To me that's almost a lineup built around small ball.

At the same time though you always want your best players hitting higher up in the lineup. The difference between a 5 hitter and an 8 hitter of the course of a season is a couple hundred at bats.

(that also tends to be how softball teams create their lineup in leagues where more than 9 people bat because it helps create a more steady offense).